Thread: Questions about propranolol

Questions about propranolol

I have been on 40mg propranolol once a day for maybe about 2 weeks now.
    Well I started having bad nightmares and they still haven't gone - has anyone else got this side effect?

Also another question - I know my leaftlet says you can't drink alcohol whilst taking this medication. I have a family occasion coming up which I would like to have a few glasses of wine - should I skip my tablet on that day so that I can drink and continue as normal? Or is it safe to have a glass of wine? My doctor didn't tell me much about alcohol consumption and propranolol.

Thanks guys..

Re: Questions about propranolol

I had 40mg x 3 times daily, didn't have nightmares or strange dreams, it calmed me down and helped me deal with anxiety.

I don't drink much booze, so can't advise on that, maybe phone your chemist for their view?

I used to take propanalol and would still have the odd glasses of wine or a cider.... no problems and I'm still around!

I did but it did make me a bit tired ...Sue x

thanks all, will risk having a glass of wine or 2 at the occasion.. nightmares seem to have gone and my heartbeat has calmed so all seems ti be well

The anxiety may casue sleepless nights and nightmares, hope you fell well soon.

Hi ayame

Beta-blockers can definitely affect dreams, although this will settle after a while. When I first started taking them for migraine, I had some of the weirdest dreams I've ever experienced, although some of them were quite entertaining!

I've taken beta-blockers for over ten years now and I've never had problems drinking on top of them. However, I'm one of the people that can find alcohol makes my anxiety worse the following day, so I very rarely have more than 2-3 drinks now.

I've been on Propranolol for a few months now! I was having awful nightmares at first and still have them every now and again, you're not alone!
    About the alcohol consumption...I take Propranolol and Citalopram and have been drinking a bit more than I should and it's been fine with my meds! No need to worry, just don't drink TOO much!

i dont take meds but also dont drink cos drinkng makes my anxety worse.

my advice though is drink f you want to but if you are gong to worry about t then dont cos it will ruin your nght and make your anxiety worse, x

Thread Information