Thread: Anxiety starting to get the better of me again

Anxiety starting to get the better of me again

Hey guys, just a quick update
    Because im in my last year of school i really want to make the most of it, i've been pushingmyself in as much as i can, not always being able to stay in my lessons but trying
    mornings always fighting not to be sick, but once im there a lot more comfortable
    last week it changed as we now have 2 weeks of exams, last week i had 4 exams to complete, i ended up doing 1
    The first one i went to i got realy anxious whilst being in there, its dfficult to walk out of an exam, and the only distraction i could use was to try and concentrate on the exam
    i was so fidgety, every time i looked up the same teacher just seemed to be looking at me, so then i got paranoid but she wouldnt stop
    being in there made me realise again how different and odd i feel compared to everybody else, and embarassed.
    im aiming to complete the 2 exams i have next week, any tips on helping me to stay in? what i can say to settle my mind? or what i can say to a teacher which she could pass onto an exam officer just incase i need to get out?
    i dont know why i feel more comfy in a class when its a lesson, than being in the class when i have an exam? maybe because in a class id talk to a friend to distract myself, nw my distraction has gone and i cant use it cos obviouslyhave to be quiet? would anyone know any other reasons why?..

Also i got my new puppy 3 weeks ago, unfortunately we had her for a week when she became seriously ill, had operations ad lots of treatment but ended up passing away by a heart attack. Of course this has really upset me as u becom attached ver quick, but i cant help but think - what if i could of done more to help? what if all the time we thought she was fine, she was actually badly suffering? in a way i feel to blame myself, because even when the first vet checked her and said she was ok (obviously got it wrong) i kept on saying i knew she wasnt right :(

Re: Anxiety starting to get the better of me again

Hi Becks is this secondary school? is it GCSE's you are taking/

Yep it is

Ok I work in a secondary school in two roles first as a cover tutor for absent teachers and secondly as an exam invigilator (senior invigilator in fact)

There is no reason you should torment yourself like this. If you are under your doctor for anxiety then the following is easy to get in place, if not get a parent or carer to speak to your exams officer, if this is not possible speak to the exam officer yourself and/or a trusted teacher.

We have students like yourself and what we do is we will try to persuade any students to sit in the main exam and make all invigilators aware that they may have to leave the exam. You do realise you can leave an exam and then return don’t you? As long as an invigilator is with you there is no reason you should not go out for fresh air or to the loo and compose yourself. Some students we let sit by the door, this often helps because they know, if necessary, they can slip out un-noticed, this ‘safety net’ is often enough to settle them. If necessary we are happy to lay on a room with invigilator for one student if they are deemed medically unfit to tackle a large room full of students, often if there are a group with similar needs they can be put in a room together, all in the same boat as it were, this works really well because the students feel relaxed in similar company.

There is certainly no way a teacher should make you feel uncomfortable in an exam. Firstly they are there by invite – they have, in truth, no right to be in an exam room – they are there by invitation. If I knew a teacher was upsetting a student I would and could ask that teacher to leave.

At the end of the day Becks you have rights especially when it comes to exams that could affect your future don’t be fobbed of but insist, politely.

Let me know if I can help further
    Martyn

Oh nono sorry I wasn't clear, the teacher that deals with me at school has spoke to the exams person n it's been agreed im allowed out, however i wasn't sure if the invigilators know, i don't think they do. I am in a class instead of the main place i should be. Last time i was close to getting out but was too scared of them not knowing and being questioned and disturbing all the students. As i am in a class with students with learning support, they get extra time but i don't. Last time i had managed to stay calm knowing i had 15 mins left, to be told i had to wait an extra 20mins to wait for their extra time to be over so i didn't disturb them. Was too embarassed to say something and start a fuss.. I think i'll speak to a teacher monday morning, so i know that everybody knows

Ok Obviously I can only answer from my experience. The invigilator should know, if you are in doubt tell him / her when you enter the room. I know invigilators can appear scary but, speaking for myself, I’m still human with feelings and to the best of my brief I will always help students when possible. In your situation we would always let you go when you had finished – you would be sat near the door so as to least disturb other students – insist on this. Also (and I never told you this) you have every right at any time to get up and walk out, just summon the invigilator say you have finished and politely inform them you are leaving and do so quietly.

I can’t stress enough about confiding in your invigilator, tell them how you feel and your fears, it might be that if you know that they know then you will be able to relax a bit more

aww - you are going through a really tough time and bound to feel rough. we had 4 dogs and lost one to poisoning this year despite getting treatment for her straight away and then we lost another 3 weeks ago - he was 10 but he became ill very suddenly and died of heart failure within hours - we took him to the vet that evening - the vet said he was fine but as soon as we got him home - he was stopping and starting breathing so we had to call the vet out to us and she could not believe he was dying because all his vital signs had been fine at the clinic. like you - i knew something was dreadfully wrong but there is not much you can do when the vet says they are fine - you did all you could for you little dog and i know you did not have her long but i am sure she felt loved and cared for xx

Sorry to hear about your rough time, especially with your dog.

About school, I have a little bit of advice that I wish I would have followed when I was taking my GCSESs. My advice to you is please do not worry too much about your exams and results, they are just slips of paper and your health is much more important. GCSE time is difficult because it's a huge turning point of your life, loads of people stress about it, but if you are suffering from anxiety it's even more important to try and keep calm.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear about the poor loss of your dogs Joanna :(
    And Ayame, i will definately take this advice on board! Your right.. my health is more important and i can only try my best. Thankyou x

Thread Information