Thread: Hyperthyroidism - side effects of meds :(

Hyperthyroidism - side effects of meds :(

Hi I've been taking NeoMercazole 10mg a day for 3 weeks for hyperthyroidism.

I've been having mild flu like symptoms, mild off and on fever, for 2.5 weeks and since 24 hours ago i've been having a sore throat, throat feels very dry and uncomfortable and sore. Saw 2 GPs last week and they said they didn't know anything about hyperthyroidism and said i should see an endo & didn't want to do anything for me.

I've started panicking and getting very anxious that it's the side effect of the lowered white cell count.

Can anyone share experience or advice? I'm struggling.

Side Effects of NeoMercazole:

Its most serious rare side effect is bone marrow suppression causing neutropenia and agranulocytosis. This may occur at any stage during treatment and without warning. Patients are advised to immediately report symptoms of infection, especially sore throats, so that a full blood count test may be arranged. If this confirms a low neutrophil count then the drug must be discontinued immediately, allowing for usually a prompt recovery. However failure to report suggestive symptoms or delays in considering the possibility of immunosuppression and its testing, can lead to fatalities.
    "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
    - - -
    If you treat every situation as a life and death matter, you'll die a lot of times. ~Dean Smith
    - - -
    Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy. ~Leo Buscaglia

Re: Hyperthyroidism - side effects of meds :(

Hello mom

Who is it that actually prescribes this drug for you?

the GP obstetrician that delivered my babies last yr. she knows about hyperthyroid cause it's common in pregnancy. she's on leave for 2 weeks. i won't be able to see her til then. she told me to look out for sore throats and side effects.
    "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
    - - -
    If you treat every situation as a life and death matter, you'll die a lot of times. ~Dean Smith
    - - -
    Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy. ~Leo Buscaglia

Ok hun. I think you are perfectly justified in demanding appropriate blood tests from your GP, they should know enough about hyperthroidism to know if there is a problem being caused by these tablets.

If they don't, well, I would change the GP becuase that is a pretty lousy excuse, they are trained in general medicine.

To be honest, I think you may be better off going to the ER or A&E or whatever they call it in Oz You obviously do need a blood test to see if there is a problem and as the notes from the medication specifies that, there shouldn't be a problem. They might just advise you to stop the meds until it can get sorted out.

I would also suggest that you get that referral for Endocrinology, whether from your OB or GP.

Good luck

Thread Information