Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long before pregabalin starts to work?

How long before pregabalin starts to work?

Hello everyone,

I'm new around here and started taking pregabalin a few days ago. Currently, my anxiety is through the roof and has been for many weeks. Indeed, I had to think twice before starting this thread. I've read all the threads in the pregabalin forum but it left me unclear as to how long it takes for pregabalin to work.

So, my question is quite simply - how long did it take before you became aware of the benefits of taking pregabalin?

As you will no doubt realize, I am desperate for this medication to be effective. I have tried many other medications - all of which have not helped. I should add that I have OCD and GAD.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

keval

Re: How long before pregabalin starts to work?

Hi Keval,

What dose are you currently taking?? It took a couple of weeks for me to feel the effects. I started out on 50mg then increased slowly. Pregabalin has turned my life around and helped enormously with the anxiety. I have GAD but it is really under control at the moment thanks to the meds.

Hope it helps you.

We are lucky as I know alot of other GP's wont prescribe it as it is very expensive.

Let me know how you get on. Jo.xx

Quote Originally Posted by JT69 View Post
    Hi Keval,

What dose are you currently taking?? It took a couple of weeks for me to feel the effects. I started out on 50mg then increased slowly. Pregabalin has turned my life around and helped enormously with the anxiety. I have GAD but it is really under control at the moment thanks to the meds.

Hope it helps you.

We are lucky as I know alot of other GP's wont prescribe it as it is very expensive.

Let me know how you get on. Jo.xx
    Hi Jo,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

I have been taking 150mg of pregabalin twice a day since Wednesday (17 Nov) so I'm only on my fifth day of this medication. This coming Wednesday, my psychiatrist has advised that I then take 150mg three times a day. I should point out that I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow to review the situation.

At this stage, I have had minimal side-effects although it appears that pregabalin exacerbates the effects of alcohol so I need to be careful. There is one side-effect of which I am aware but it falls into the 'am I permitted to talk about this?' category. Since I'm new around here, I have no intention of getting my wrist slapped!

I see that it took a couple of weeks for you to feel the effects. That's very encouraging and gives me hope, which is in short supply at present.

I will keep you informed of any developments.

All the best,

keval

Hi Folks,

Studying the pregabalin forum statistics (replies & views for all threads), I am now beginning to suspect that relatively few people are taking this medication. Consequently, my guess is that I'm only going to get a handful of replies - if that!

keval

i have just started this eve... will keep you posted on my progress. Hate starting new meds but have heard such positive reviews about this one x

Quote Originally Posted by ems43 View Post
    i have just started this eve... will keep you posted on my progress. Hate starting new meds but have heard such positive reviews about this one x
    Hi ems43,

Many thanks for adding to this thread.

Please keep us updated regarding any developments.

Best wishes.

keval

Hi Keval,

Well just started last night, felt ok, a bit more tired. But today, God I feel very weird, somewhere between being stoned and drunk! Spent most of the day in bed, feel very spacey and weird. Have you had these symptoms? I'm determined to stick it out as so many people think so highly of it.x

Quote Originally Posted by ems43 View Post
    Hi Keval,

Well just started last night, felt ok, a bit more tired. But today, God I feel very weird, somewhere between being stoned and drunk! Spent most of the day in bed, feel very spacey and weird. Have you had these symptoms? I'm determined to stick it out as so many people think so highly of it.x
    Hi ems43,

Isn't it incredible how different people respond to the same medication? From this comment, you will correctly surmise that I have not experienced any of the symptoms that you have described.

Do you mind my asking what dosage of pregabalin you are taking? And, do you take any other psychiatric medications? I will point out that I am not medically qualified. Just interested in gathering a few facts. Like yourself, I'm new to this medication and I intend to stay with it in the hope that I reap the benefits. I have decided to stay at 150mg twice a day for a little longer as I'm uncomfortable with the idea of ramping up the dosage too quickly. Besides which, I've only been taking pregabalin for a week so it seems premature to expect any reduction in anxiety so soon.

Wishing you the very best.

keval
    Last edited by keval; 24-11-10 at 16:47. Reason: minor grammatical change

Hi kevel, I'm on 150mg, 75 in morn and eve. Am also on mitrazipine, an anti d that has sedative effects so that may be the reason why i feel more stoned etc. Strange, I have take my dose this evening and don't feel tired etc more stimulated, couldn't stop talking! I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us, damm it, we need a break hey!x

Hi Keval,

I'm taking pregabalin 600 mg per day (2 x 300 mg capsule - although I built up to that level over a couple of weeks) for generalised anxiety. It's been a godsend to me. I no longer wake up feeling anxious in the morning, and that constant sense that something awful was going to happen has gone. That's not to say that I don't have concerns and worries, but they're at a normal level, and I can deal with them like most people. For me, it worked quickly, but studies suggest about a week for it to have an effect. You may get benefit from combining it with another medication. I'm also taking mirtazapine 45 mg per day.

Side effects - I felt a bit spacey and uncoordinated for about three weeks, but that has subsided. I get a dry mouth from time to time, but having a water bottle handy fixes that. Apart from that, I feel ordinary. It greatly increases the effects of alcohol for me, so this is an area to take care.

Dosage - It's important to get a dose at a therapeutic level. Research studies suggest that significant improvement starts at around 150 mg per day and keeps improving up to 400 mg per day.

Best wishes,

Hanshan
    Last edited by hanshan; 28-11-10 at 04:52.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information