Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How long before pregabalin starts to work?

Re: How long before pregabalin starts to work?

Quote Originally Posted by SarahG View Post
    Hi Keval

I actually take only 75mg (1 x 25mg and 2 x 25mg) alongside a daily dose of Sertraline and this has been a godsend too. When I first got very ill and was put on medication for GAD and Panic, I found the Sertraline started to work okish. The doctor then added the Pregabalin which by taking it in the doses above morning and evening has really helped with that awful morning anxiety. I would say it took about 2 weeks to really kick in and despite my doctor saying she would increase gradually, I never needed anymore that this "hit" to get me through the worst times.

I really hope it works for you... I've not read from anyone who it hasn't worked for yet although people have posted about cheaper alternatives to this drug which have not been so effective. I guess we are the lucky ones whose doctors agreed to give us with incredibly expensive drug because yes, it does work! Best of luck and stick with it.

Sarah xxx
    Hello Sarah,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am still optimistic that pregabalin will do the trick. I've decided to delay the increase to 450mg per day until this Friday (3 December).

Several people have mentioned that pregabalin is a very expensive medication. It's academic really but, just out of interest, does anyone know what it costs?

keval

Quote Originally Posted by ems43 View Post
    keval, the link the the bmj article is http://bestpractice.bmj.com/best-pra...r-standard.pdf
    Hi ems43,

Many thanks for the link to the BMJ article, which I've now read.

keval

Hi Keval,

I have a mims book but is 2008...at that time pregabalin 84x50mg =£96.60!! so expensive...and that is why some GP's wont prescribe it!! We are the lucky ones. Glad its going o.k for you. I know for me it has really helped me....I just wonder how I will be when I try to stop the mirtazipine that I am taking along with it...I currently take 15mg and intend to stop after Christmas!!!

TC
    Jo.xx

Hi Keval,

A box of 56 x 300mg capsules costs about AUD150.00 in Australia at my local pharmacy, about GBP94.00. I get some money back from my private health fund, bringing it down to about GBP63.00 for 56 capsules.

The high cost is because Pfizer holds the patent on the drug and can charge what they want. I'm no organic chemist, but the molecule looks pretty simple to me, so when it comes off-patent, other companies should be able to manufacture it fairly economically and offer it at a much more competitive cost.

The other factor in Australia is whether it's approved for a particular use by the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme run by the Australian Government. If it's approved (it's not at the moment) the price for 56 x 300mg capsules would come down to about GBP21.00 for people in employment and about GBP4.00 for concession card holders.

(The prices quoted will vary with changes in exchange rates).

Best wishes,

Hanshan

Hi Jo and Hanshan,

Many thanks for the feedback about the cost of pregabalin. Now I see why people say it's expensive!

keval

Hi Folks,

Well, I've now been taking pregabalin for 18 days and have not experienced any benefits. My dosage is currently 150mg twice a day. My psychiatrist had advised me to increase to 150mg three times a day after the first seven days but I've been holding out for two reasons. Firstly, the sexual side effects give me a problem. That's why I started a separate thread on this very topic. Secondly, I was keeping my fingers crossed that my current dosage may do the trick.

So, today I shall step up the dosage to that advised by my psychiatrist. I really want and need this medication to work. My daily anxiety is causing me very severe distress and I am struggling. Although I am practicing techniques that I have just acquired upon completion of a CBT course for OCD sufferers, I don't expect any changes for several months. In my case, I have both OCD and GAD but sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between them.

It's time to cross my fingers (and toes) in the hope that pregabalin is going to help me.

keval

Good luck to you keval

My only opinion is that you have to tackle the underlying cause as well and I hope the CBT is helping with that. I havent tackled the underlying cause and I believe thats why I'm on my third raise in this medication (believe it? I know it!) I think the pregabalin helps in being able to see the situation and rationalise it more clearly.

Again, good luck

Bel
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Belfry1973 View Post
    My only opinion is that you have to tackle the underlying cause as well...
    Hi Bel,

Thanks for your kind words of support.

I totally agree with your comment above. Having been in therapy for more years than I care to remember, I know what the underlying cause of my anxiety disorders is. A traumatic childhood. I am ill-prepared to handle what life throws at me. In fact, I liken myself to a house built on quicksand. However, I now have two excellent therapists with whom I am working (not at the same time) and I hope to make progress.

I see the pregabalin as a temporary measure to help me through what has recently been an extremely tough time. But who knows what the future holds?

All the best!

keval
    Last edited by keval; 06-12-10 at 13:52. Reason: originally, forgot to thank Bel!

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Dosage - It's important to get a dose at a therapeutic level. Research studies suggest that significant improvement starts at around 150 mg per day and keeps improving up to 400 mg per day.
    Hi Hanshan,

I'm interested in pursuing the above comment further. Particularly the statement that "It's important to get a dose at a therapeutic level". Are you of the view that one has to hit a daily threshold dose beyond which things start to happen? In other words, does a person need to reach a critical daily dose to reap the benefits of pregabalin?

Best wishes!

keval

Smile Re: How long before pregabalin starts to work?

Quote Originally Posted by keval View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm new around here and started taking pregabalin a few days ago. Currently, my anxiety is through the roof and has been for many weeks. Indeed, I had to think twice before starting this thread. I've read all the threads in the pregabalin forum but it left me unclear as to how long it takes for pregabalin to work.

So, my question is quite simply - how long did it take before you became aware of the benefits of taking pregabalin?

As you will no doubt realize, I am desperate for this medication to be effective. I have tried many other medications - all of which have not helped. I should add that I have OCD and GAD.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

keval
    I agree with your comment above. Pregabalin is not expensive, Lyrica drug pharmacy store selling quality and cheap Lyrica tablets, with complete Lyrica drug information.
    You can visit here : all-generic-drugs (dot) com I hope it ll helpful for you.....
    Last edited by Mac09; 29-12-10 at 10:15.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information