Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what triggered your health anxiety?

Re: what triggered your health anxiety?

I had an accident which landed me in hospital with all kinds of tests (I collapsed for no apparent reason and hurt myself pretty badly). I became terrified that something was seriously wrong and it seems to have not gone away, even though that was 6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JFlower View Post
    I had an accident which landed me in hospital with all kinds of tests (I collapsed for no apparent reason and hurt myself pretty badly). I became terrified that something was seriously wrong and it seems to have not gone away, even though that was 6 years ago.
    Same thing happened to me last Christmas but did not hurt myself too much though, They said it was hypoglycemia but my brain has kept telling me it's something else. Anxiety started slow for me but kept getting more frequent and now I get it every day.

My Dad had a lot of heart problems when he was younger and a few years ago he had a pretty bad angina attack, then near enough 3 years ago my Dad died of a malignant brain tumour when I was 14 I had to watch him suffer and the worst part of it was there was absolutley nothing I could do, then 6 months after that me and my Mum got called home by my Grandma whilst we were having a holiday in Scotland to visit my Dads relatives, saying my Grandad was suffering with an internal bleed. We came back later on that day to visit him the next day in hospital hoping he could get better (though I don't think I knew quite how serious it was), though the next day we got to the hospital and he'd already died. My grandad too had a lot of health problems (diabetes, ulsers, toe amputation etc.) so i've been exposed to a lot of health issues with my family over the past couple of years.
    I never knew that my Dad's brain tumour was malignant until the night he died, as my Mum thought it was best I didn't know he was dying.
    So ever since then I've feared my own health worrying I have every type of cancer or heart problem under the sun, even when the doctor tells me I'm fine I get suspicious in case people know something I don't.
    I only realised last year my Dad, the fact my Mum kept it a secret my Dad was dying and Grandad's death played a huge part in my health anxiety, I now worry everyday I have something wrong with me.
    It's so awful!

I have had mine since I was about 11 years old when my uncle died from Cancer, I have struggled with it ever since. I have phases of illnesses I think that I am going to die from, from a Brain hemorrhage to Heart conditions, my brain picks up every single signal that other people would ignore, I have been to the doctors so many times my file is huge! im so tired of feeling this way and just want to behave normally. I feel that in my head I have been ill since I was 11, so when I actually am ill physically it feels even worse to cope with. My family do not understand and I feel selfish for constantly thinking about myself. I have anxiety issues aswell so a bag of nerves most of the time. I would really like to talk to other people who have it to have some understanding for a change instead of someone in my family saying "your not bloody ill" lol

I went to bed one night and the panic started for no reason. After sleepless nights and all kinds of weird symptoms it just developed. Over a year later and new things pop up that freak me out.

I originally had severe HA when my Nan died very unexpectedly when i was 18. She was very fit, had recently been told that "although she was 74, she had the heart of a 50 year old" and then, without warning, she died of a heart attack in her sleep.
    I remember for a couple of years after that I was in a terrible state, constantly thinking I was dying.
    August 2008 my Mum died of lung cancer. She was very fit, still working, aged 68 but going to the gym 5 times a week. A bad back turned out to be cancer spread from the lungs to the spine. She had NO lung symptoms, yet she died within 10 weeks of seeing someone about a bad back.
    Since that, I've been an absolute wreck.
    I've had numerous ECGs
    I've had CT scans, MRI scans
    I've cried myself to sleep so many times, convinced I have terminal cancer.
    Every ache, every pain, I'm convinced is something awful.
    Lately I have been shaking all the time and can't eat. I HATE THIS!!

My health anxeity was triggered when my son was born - he nearly died and needed an emergency operation when he was one day old due to a blockage in his gut. He is also suffers from a very rare brain disorder - only 70 people in the world are known to have it, so he is disabled and has special needs and ongoing medical problems.

I was never like this before - my boy is 5 now and always has a big smile and a kiss for me. Love him to bits :-)

L.x

I've always had bad anxiety but it got worse when i took a large amount of speed. Now everyday i worry about dropping dead from a heart attack.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information