Thread: advice please

advice please

Hi i am new to this and posted a long message on health anxiety and had a lovely message back and also advised to post here-i think. Will try and keep it shortish.
    Palps started about 10 months ago in pregnancy had a 24hr tape just showed sinus rhythm and occasional ectopics. Had a horrible pregnancy and birth and palps got worse. Had another tape which said:
    "underlying rhythm is sinus interpersed with occasionla pvc and ectopic beats of supraventricular origin. some periods of tachycardia and ventricular bigeminy but none sustained. the symptom of palpitation was noted intermittently on occassions associated with sinus rhytm and also occassions where isolated ectopic activity was present"

My heart onnly feels like this now after exertion. Walking up a steep hill. And heart rate is about 160 and when it starts to slow after about a min i can feel the sensation in my chest/throat and also in my pulse. stop stop start type feeling.

my questions
    1. is this report ok and why does it happen after exertion only? Have read this is really bad. When saw the consultant it was happening more often so didnt relate it to exercise.
    2. is 160 heart rate whilst walking to fast? could this be causing it?
    3. Should i ask for further tests?
    4. Gp said its ok because consultant said it was. But he didnt know it was exercise related. Does this make any difference as it still picked up rhytms on the monitor.

it has always been put down to anxiety from pregnancy and traumatic time after and having cbt which has helped with some parts but not this as it is real everday. If i didnt have to walk my daughter to school up a steel hill i would never exercise again!
    Thanks for any replies i may get

Re: advice please

Hi.
    has anyone any advice or am i posting in the wrong place? Sorry but worrying now everyone thinks the results sound terrible and dont want to tell me!! When rationally i know its probably that noone understands them like me
    Thanks x

Hmm. I'm not gonna pretend I understand one bit of that cuz I really don't lol! But I can share my experiences with you.

I recently started exercising again and my ectopics/palpitations/missed beats started up really bad AFTER the actual exercise. I got set off by a thread on this forum stating that it's bad news but after a lot of panic and reading through it thoroughly (sp? ;s) I figured it wasn't 100% true. Anyway, a lot of people on here get these funny heart beats after exertion, we're not the only 2 which means in some ways it has to be fairly normal, especially if you've had your heart checked.

I don't monitor my heart when I'm exercising cuz I know for a fact it would scare the hell out of me lol but it does go mega fast. 160 when walking up a steep hill sounds fairly normal to me though especially when you're already anxious about doing it. I went out for a walk once and cuz I was so anxious+walking it felt like my heart was up in the low 1000's =/.

I'm not a doctor, and I really have no clue what that report is saying but your doctor and the consultant do. If there was anything wrong or anything that could be wrong they would have sent you for further tests themsevles. You could always pop and see your GP and mention you only get them after exercise now and see what he says cuz I'm sure it would put your mind at rest more than I can lol! xx

Hiya. The sentence in the quote marks is a bit technical unless being read by a doctor/cardiologist/cardiac nurse. Unfortunately I'm none of these things.

What I would say is, if the consultant has told your doctor that everything is ok, then I would try to stop worrying. I know it's not easy to do that as I suffer from ectopic beats pretty much all the time. They are not fun but everyone will tell you that they are harmless and that is the truth, they are!

During exercise, I can start my ectopic beats but exercise can also stop my ectopic beats. This is how bizarre this problem is.

How do you know your heartrate is up to 160 when walking? Do you wear a heart rate monitor? I would possibly say that is a little high, possibly not for you though. I'm not sure. One thing though, the heart is an amazingly, powerful and strong muscle that can put up with so much strain and pressure. So, again, I would try not to worry.

If you need more information, go back to your doctor.
    Hope you're feeling a bit happier now.
    x

Thread Information