Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: long time lurker having a bad time again...

long time lurker having a bad time again...

Hello all....dont normally post on here but read all the time...

suffering with health anxiety for years now...sparked off by losing my mum about 7 years ago (7th dec 2003)

felt like ive lost my mind countless times.....then had a good 2 years where i thought i had beaten this...but over the last 2 years slowly started to spiral out of control again...to the point where im fully on alert of every little thing again, which is now causing issues with me at work and seems its pushing my long term girlfriend away fom me....how she has put up with me for this long i dont know....anyway sorry for the life story....

recently been feeling a little sick and thirsty all the time, lost a bit of weight, going the loo etc - yes i did the worst thing again looked at google for my issues....seems it could be diabetic related....wound myself up to the hilt now...but sooo worried to go to the docs....cant handle blood tests (incase they find something huge out by mistake ....stupid i know) been countless times over the years and they always see me as the worrier and just put it down to anxiety....feel like im stuck in the horrible loop again and its driving me mad...so much that i had to post on here....got that feeling that docs dont believe me anymore so its a waste of time going.....

im sorry for this post , and im sorry if its in the wrong place but im having a very bad few days again....makes me feel a little better knowing there are others around in the same place.....

thank you and sorry for boring you at the same time

Re: long time lurker having a bad time again...

Hi Hypoman, sorry you are so worried. While the symptoms you have might be consistent with diabetes, all of them can also be produced by anxiety, I think. But there's only one way to find out, so no matter how hard you find it (I'm sure they think the same of me at my surgery) you really should get back to the doc. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneC View Post
    Hi Hypoman, sorry you are so worried. While the symptoms you have might be consistent with diabetes, all of them can also be produced by anxiety, I think. But there's only one way to find out, so no matter how hard you find it (I'm sure they think the same of me at my surgery) you really should get back to the doc. Sorry!
    thank you for the reply JaneC....

i know deep down that i must go....i just laugh to myself so much because years ago a trip to the docs would hold no fear at all...even the more 'delicate' issues i just strode in and got it sorted....

its amazing how a few years can change your whole character...im just a bag of nerves nowadays....half the man i used to be to steal a line....

Hi welcome aboard x
    You must go to the doctors, diabetes is completely treatable. I know its hard with anxious feelings and when terror grips you, but its something youve really got to do.
    I was forced into the job center yesterday, and my gran just died. You can imagine my anxiety, and Im agoraphobic! You know what, I did it. Felt crap for a while, but I did go and face it, and Im here to tell the tale. You can do it.

Once the possible diabetes is sorted, we can help you with your anxiety and everything that comes with it. Youre not alone ok. X

thank you paula....and im sorry to hear about your gran aswell....

just cant believe how i have become because of this damn anxiety....just stupidly afraid of being fobbed off again with the 'its your anxiety again' tried a few doctors in the same gp's...they all seem to go off my previous history....maybe its my own fault for going the docs so much when i was in a real bad state...although i thought every visit was needed to figure out stuff....id of gone madder if i had not gone....now its the horrible 'its real this time' feeling.....just puts you off....

hi hypoman, i convinced myself i had diabetes this time last year as i noticed i always went for a widdle in the night and i was thirsty more, (central heating, of course!) but i worked myself up so much that i went to my local pharmacy and had a quick diabetes test, it was so quick in about 30 seconds they told me i was completely fine! you may find this environment less daunting and they only are testing your blood sugar level so you needn't worry about them looking for anything else in your blood. hope you find reassurance soon, take care, AP

Hi, I agree with everyone else, the only way you will know is to be brave and get tests. You should not feel a burden to your GP, that's what they are there for, and anxiety is a recognised condition so it should be treated in all seriousness.

My anxiety started when I had an undiagnosed health problem but before that I lost my Mum, Uncle, job and was in a car crash, so it had built up. I had Propranolol to calm the physical aspect of anxiety and counselling to help me sort out my demons, I'm much better than I was but not fully "me" yet.

There is a lot your GP can do to help, and I would consider changing to someone kinder if you feel fobbed off.

Hope you fell better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by allergyphobia View Post
    hi hypoman, i convinced myself i had diabetes this time last year as i noticed i always went for a widdle in the night and i was thirsty more, (central heating, of course!) but i worked myself up so much that i went to my local pharmacy and had a quick diabetes test, it was so quick in about 30 seconds they told me i was completely fine! you may find this environment less daunting and they only are testing your blood sugar level so you needn't worry about them looking for anything else in your blood. hope you find reassurance soon, take care, AP
    a few people mentioned the central heating thing and to be fair the amount of time ive been haviing this issue is since the heating's been on more...maybe it is making me more thirsty which in turn would mean more toilet trips???....plus also in the last 2 months ive quit alcohol, started with me having an infection and having pills for 2 weeks but felt id be doing myself a favour by cutting the booze for a while as this can feed the anxiety....maybe your right about the enviroment...that could be a good idea but like other posters have said i have to pluck up the courage to go the GP's....thank you for your reply means alot...

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel B View Post
    Hi, I agree with everyone else, the only way you will know is to be brave and get tests. You should not feel a burden to your GP, that's what they are there for, and anxiety is a recognised condition so it should be treated in all seriousness.

My anxiety started when I had an undiagnosed health problem but before that I lost my Mum, Uncle, job and was in a car crash, so it had built up. I had Propranolol to calm the physical aspect of anxiety and counselling to help me sort out my demons, I'm much better than I was but not fully "me" yet.

There is a lot your GP can do to help, and I would consider changing to someone kinder if you feel fobbed off.

Hope you fell better soon.
    thank you for your reply...i remember being offered counselling after my mum but i battled this on my own and thought that i had won until recently again...

i just wish that the docs would gimme some more time when ive gone there...seems im rushed through and out the door again...used about 4 of the 7 docs there....like i said in a previous post fell like there just going off my past track record.....will just have to suck it up and get an appointment asap....

Well indeed, drinking more will incrase your urine output and in winter we are not sweating it out.

I am pretty sure that docs can test for diabetes through a wee sample which would be non invasive. Obviously if something showed as an irregularity then other tests might be ordered, but think of the concequences of people who ignore diabetes. I won't scare you with them but it's better to get it sorted now than to leave it festering.

And of course as has been said, anxiety means more trips to the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by dodo View Post
    Well indeed, drinking more will incrase your urine output and in winter we are not sweating it out.

I am pretty sure that docs can test for diabetes through a wee sample which would be non invasive. Obviously if something showed as an irregularity then other tests might be ordered, but think of the concequences of people who ignore diabetes. I won't scare you with them but it's better to get it sorted now than to leave it festering.

And of course as has been said, anxiety means more trips to the toilet.
    the bit in bold worries me...what if the docs just put it down to anxiety?? and its not??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information