Thread: First Smear test and im nervous!

Unhappy First Smear test and im nervous!

Hi Guys,

I'm not usually one to share these sort of anxities to total strangers but given the fact we all have a common fear or problem with our health and mind state, I thought this may be the best place to seek advice.

I am a pre worry worrier, and as I understand it is my first smear test I shouldn't worry because I have no history of abnormal tests, I havent been able to relax for the past 3 days.

It is 5 in the morning and I have been up all night researching Cervical cancer.

I am 25. And recently I have had abnormal periods, I am on the contraceptive implant which has messed with my menstrual cycle as it is for the past 2 years, but in the last 2 months I have had heavy bleeding. I haven't gone to the GP purely because I thought it had something to do with the implant....

Now I wish I did go because I would have already had results.

I know im probably making myself worry more then I should but Cervical cancer is my biggest fear, and now I feel awful.

How long do the results usually take? and do they call you or send you a letter?

Thanks guys! im sorry for being a big baby!

T x

Hi T_len

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Re: First Smear test and im nervous!

Hi there,

Abnormal bleeding is extremely common with the implant (I am a contraceptive nurse) so please don't worry. If the bleeding continues to be a problem, go back to your GP or clinic as they can put you on the combined pill for a bit and it often settles the bleeding down.
    Many women have troublesome bleeding on the implant, some are lucky and have no bleeding and some have a little.
    It is really important that you have your smear and just remember they are looking for pre-cancerous cells only, these can be easily treated.
    Please speak to your GP or Practice Nurse about your anxieties.
    Get a friend or your mum to go with you, it can really help to have support.

Hope all goes well- be brave, it won't be half as bad as you think!Sharon xx

Sorry meant to say, the results vary from area to area. Usually 2-3 weeks and you will get a letter, xxx

hey Sharon,

Thank you so much. I have had it quite good on the Implant, apart from my irregular bleeding (and no period for the first year) so I think when I go in today i'll mention the heavier periods i've had recently.

Thank you so much for your message. Off I got to my first smear test!!

thanks again

T x

Thread Information