Thread: Weird Thoughts Please Help!!!

Weird Thoughts Please Help!!!

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone. Its kinda hard to explain but for the last few months i have this thing in head when i am talking to someone like my mother that when she is talking to me i have thoughts going through my head like i should tell her to shut up, or call her a nasty name, i dont know why this is happening cos me and my mother have the best relationship and i would never call her a bad name or netin, so it kind of scares me when it happens
    These thoughts come out of no where, it also happens when i am talking to my brother which i get on with really well too.
    The other night was the worst cos i just wanted to scream out loud for no reason like i was goin to have this big out burst over nothing and i ahd to tell myself to calm down it got me really scared.
    I was wondering if its because i keep things bottled up and then i take it out on the wrong people, i hate feeling this way cos id never really fight with my mother or brother and i dont want to either.
    Please help and sorry for the long story just wanted to explain as best i could.

Re: Weird Thoughts Please Help!!!

I've had that since I was about nine or ten - sometimes like what you say, sometimes sexual things and sometimes plain bizzare things, I can't go near railings on tall buildings as I panic I'll throw myself off. I went through a week of having an urge to drink bleach too, I got so worried and then it passed and back to normal.

Firstly - you are worried you are having these thoughts. That in itself shows you would not do them, you are worried thus proving you know to do such a thing isn't great, it's not something you want to do - so don't beat yourself up
    These are just thoughts. They can't hurt you or anyone else. You don't want to act on them, and so you won't; you're in control after all.

I'm sure everyone gets this to an extent, my mum had this with kitchen knives for a while, was scared to go near them - and she's the least agressive person I know!! So you really have nothing to worry about

It does NOT mean you are a bad person. We all get weird thoughts, like I said - and of course if you get one, and worry, its not going to go away easily.

Like if I tell you not to think about penguins...No, I said don't think about penguins... Don't think about them at all..

Not so easy to do is it! It keeps coming back, and reminding you, and you feel more bad about yourself in the process. The best key is first of all, acceptance. These thoughts don't make you a bad person and they are not necessarily something you would choose to do. After that, distraction - a dvd, music, a good book, phone a friend, anything you enjoy.

Honest, it will get better with time

Tc x
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

I get this from time to time too. It's like all of the sudden out of know where u feel this sudden urge to yell out what is inside your head and u know u don't want to do this and it's very scarey feelin I know I just distract my self think something else or do something else and just tell yourself it's all going to be ok, and just practice your breathing- IN and OUT- breath! I hope this has helps you!!

Yeah, as others have said, just another offshoot to the anxiety thing. I have thought that I am about to flip out during a conversation with a loved one and do something really silly like scream and jump through a window laughing like a madman. I think a lot can be said about our worst fears and as anxiety sufferers, those worst fears of ours become so obsessive that we focus on them all the time and worry that they will actually happen. I can see in your case that you love your mother and your worst fear is to see her hurt, so it's just another case of your mind playing tricks. With all fears, they become obsessions - try replacing the bad thought in your head with say, giving your mother a big kiss. Then everytime the thought is recalled, just over ride it with the image of the kiss. Gradually, you'll teach your mind new tricks.

Thread Information