Thread: Dear NMP men and women, is this possible?

Dear NMP men and women, is this possible?

It's Tuesday, I have an in date passport. I have about £600 in the bank. I speak basic Japanese (by that I mean I can say 10 common phrases, hehe). I don't have a criminal record. I also don't have a job, which will probably count against me.

I'm agoraphobic but feeling confident. It's Tuesday now, could I do this:

•Go online and order plane return ticket to Tokyo. Leave on Friday, come back on Tuesday.

Just like that, that fast? I'm not actually going to go now, but in a few months I'm thinking about going. I think it's what I need to do to get rid of my anxiety.

Is it possible to do it that fast and just go on a quick getaway to Japan, just like that, because I have a passport and money?

Re: Dear NMP men and women, is this possible?

Yep.. some of my best trips happened this way.. I say 'go for it"

I don't know about the intricacies of visas etc. You'd have to look that up online. However... the only thing I can tell you is that you are definitely right about the "just having to do it".

I started CBT therapy lately and have lots of things I can't do because of my strong anxieties and panic attacks. They may not be as big as getting on a plane to Japan but I am sure they probably mean the same fear for me. My therapist started me off by getting me to make a list of any activities, situations or other that I avoid. She then gave me challenges for "homework". To give you an example, the first fear we tackled was buses! She gave me a small chart and on this I had to record my anxiety before the event, during the event and after the event from 1-10. I decided if I was going to do this therapy I had to embrace it and therefore I planned a bus trip or about 15 minutes. Yes I went on a bus... something I thought I'd never do. She insisted I have no distractions such as taking a friend or a magazine, and whilst on the journey I had to focus purely on how bad my anxiety felt. Surprisingly my anxiety was not anywhere near as bad as I had predicted during the trip and this gave me the confidence to try it again... and again... and again. VERY QUICKLY my anxiety levels were down to 1 or 0 and I am now planning a much longer bus trip to really get myself over this fear. I am also working on other fears and my behaviour is gradually changing in all of these too.

I really feel good about myself as I push through these anxieties and think you could too. Therefore my suggestion would be GO FOR IT! and I bet it's nowhere near as bad as you think it will be! Good luck!!!

Hehe hey that's awesome!
    I'm agoraphobic so just leaving the house is a huge panic attack session. I haven't been on a bus in years, whenever I need to go into town I walk. I know I could do it, just get on a bus, pay the driver, sit down and chill, but it's bloomin' hard. You're right about the music, I don't use it anymore when I go on walks 'cause it gives me this safety barrier to cling onto. When it's just me and my thoughts and the World, I feel better afterwards.

Yeah it is just about doing it, and not about thinking about all the things that could happen. Thanks for your replies guys! I hope that longer bus trip goes well Sarah

I know someone who did exactly that only wasn't to Tokyo, it was to the United States. Was a complete agoraphobic and covered their head in the back of the car going to the airport. And he did it.

He's a member on here but not been on for a while.

So it can definately be done if you are determind enough.

Lisa
    x

Bottleblond - wow really?! That's awesome It's weird how we can be petrified of stepping out the front door and just having a walk around the streets, but then do something drastic like that to get over it. Human beings are crazy

Mishel - thanks Yeah I think if I did it, actually I almost KNOW, that if I did it I'd have all this confidence just boosted in me. I'm definitely gonna do it when I've saved up some plane fare money.

Thanks guys x

I don't see why not- plane fares are expensive though!

From 'Desiderata,' Max Ehrmann

Why dont you try somewhere nearer first like Spain or France ? you can get some really cheap flights nowadays .Once you have done it ,there will be no stopping you .Build up until you get further away each time ,and enjoy every minute ..Wishing you all the Best with your journey ..sue xx

Sweetpea6 - Not if you're connected with the Russian mob...

Suzy - nah, I hate Spain and France. I wanna get on a plane to Tokyo and have all my fear and panic just sod off for good and never come back. I'm just thinking if that could actually happen or if I'm just living in a fantasy world.. I think it would happen and I'd get this HUGE boost and I'd just ride that wave out of Hell, or, I don't go and just keep on trying to fix it like I am doing.

Ok I've just decided, I'm going. But not yet, I don't have any money and like Sweetpea says, plane fairs are expensive.

Just to clear up I'm not actually connected with the Russian mob...it was just a joke.......

Yeah, yeah...................it was just a joke....................

Thread Information