Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to join Army but covered in self-harm scars..

Question Want to join Army but covered in self-harm scars..

I know that when you join the Army you go to selection, and a doctor touches your balls and tells you to "breathe out".... *sigh* Who knows what goes through these people's heads..

Anyway, ever since 2008, everynow and again I just go to town on myself with a knife, and I regret it now. Let's say I get past all the little tests and interviews but then I have to strip naked in front of a doctor. What are they gonna think/do when they see all the marks on my arm? Do you think I can just say that I don't do it anymore, it was a long time ago, and that'll be that. Or do they have the right to reject me?

I wish I didn't do it now. I've thought about concealing it with make-up but I don't think that'll work, I think it's best to just be honest and say "yeah I cut myself years ago, that's all behind me now". What do you think I should do if I'm ever in that position?

Re: Want to join Army but covered in self-harm scars..

I have a friend who is currently in Afghanistan, he used to self harm a lot and is covered in scars, this never seemed to stop him.

And the scars im talking about are big deep cut scars with a knife, some went down to the bone.

You need to be free of this type of problem for two years .That includes depression .But it wont stop them accepting you if you are fit and pass the initial interview and tests etc .Good luck sue xx

Hi
    My partner is in the military.
    These days the army have really tightened up on who they accept. My nephew could not get in due to him having asthma and he does not even have it that severe. He was told to wait for another couple of years before applying again and then they will check to see if he has had an attack in that time or not.
    They will pick up on your self harming if it is noted in your gps medical records, plus obviously they will see for themselves when you go for your medical. Maybe they wont turn you down for having self harmed but maybe they will question your mental health state.
    I am not saying you won't get in, but the military these days are very concerned about the effects of stress on soldiers, and maybe they would question whether you would be able to cope with the stress in theatre, if you have self harmed previously.
    All the best however if you go for joining up. Good luck!
    Last edited by PoppyC; 30-11-10 at 15:55.

If your on any form of medication ie for depression or anxiety sorry mate you have no chance the medicals now are very harsh indeed and they will pick up on your self harm past or present HM forces are very particular nowadays and very choosey who they pick. But best of luck if you give it a ago.

I think they would more likely take into account your mental health history and how old these scars are.

It was similar to when I applied to join the policeforce, they told me I would have to be free of all my medication for a suitable period before I should even bother to apply. I can only imagine the army is similar.
    Good luck though!

Yeah, I know they're a bit choosey these days... Well I aren't on any medication, so that's good. My scars are easy to see, so I'll just have to say I did it but it was 3 years ago, and then I'll just see I suppose.

Thanks for all your support guys!

Hi I have just read your story 100% and I know of many friends who have self harmed. I hope that you are able to put all that behind you, difficult I know. There might be some dermabraze treatment with lazers available but it is costly? I was served by a girl in a shop recently she had self harm scars on her arms but it did not stop her doing a good job. Take care. EJ.

Thanks EJ, I don't have the money for laser treatment at the moment but I suppose the good thing is my scars are on my upper arm, out of view if I have clothes on. I have some on my hand but they've kind of faded so I think I can get by that.

Thanks for your support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information