Thread: Balance and dizziness...time of year?

Balance and dizziness...time of year?

I am a seasonal contrbutor to this forum or so it seems, as soon as winter strats biting so does my anxiety - this year Iam getting very bad "off balance" feeling and dizziness, there are only two things that seem to make it feel better:

Alcohol and exercise (cardio), both make me forget about it and it seems to go away. I had some problems last year although I don't remember the dizziness being this bad, some vision disturbances made me go to A & E and have a CT scan then I saw a Ophthamologist for extensive eye tests (all fine).

I am buying a SAD light to see if it makes a difference, I feel so much better in the summer. The way I feel at the moment I cannot socialize and just want to be on my own (due to fear of getting dizzy) - I have a new job to start soon and am starting to worry about the way I feel, like over night I've turned into a quivering wreck.

I think I just need someone to tell me this is the same as usual and not something ghastly which of course is the real worry!

Thanks for reading

Re: Balance and dizziness...time of year?

When you start to notice the dizziness creeping in, try to relax all your muscles and breathe in slowly and deeply. It helps me

I get this a lot and my doctor says that this is just an effect of the anxiety, I don't think you need to worry too much, but I would pop along and see your doctor, just to be on the safe side. If it is just anxiety then she can prescribe you a low dose anti-depressant, just to get you through the winter months. A SAD light will help too.

Hi UFC,
    It might be a sinus problem or perhaps an allergy. I also suffer badly with dizziness and although i think anxiety contributes towards it i'm not totally convinced. Saw a consultant who after a ct scan said that my sinus was all blocked and needed draining but i also suffer with stomach problems, bloatedness, indigestion and reflux and think this might also have an effect. Like yourself i also find that by drinking i get my head back on "the level" and at least when i wake up in the morning i've a valid excuse as to why i feel so crap! I like to run to keep a clear head as i find that works to, but the less you worry about the dizziness the better. I have a problem and the anxiety only seems to double impact on it.
    Stay Positive

Hi UFC fan, I am the same. Signed up this time last year, stayed around for a couple of months, just come back when winter started. You may have SAD, even in mild cases anxiety shoots up. I get very dizzy at this time of the year and the cold is the biggest culprit.

Thanks, I have booked an appointment with my GP for tomorrow - I suspect I know what he will say and I wonder if this kind of thing feeds the cycle, do people find that when you get a symptoms you've had before you convince yourself it's "slightly" different this time and that it gives you justification to worry?

Thread Information