Thread: Experiences on Citalopram for anxiety....so far

Experiences on Citalopram for anxiety....so far

I just thought I'd write about my experiences as I'm new to the forum. I have been taking citalopram for 4 months now. Initally on the 20 mg dose but I quickly moved up to the 30 mg. It took a while but the panic attacks I was taking it for really have gone. I never thought they would and I never thought I would get my life back. I was so cynical about taking them as well, I work in the medical profession and I knew there was chance they would not work for me, so much so that I as extremely reluctant to go to my GP. It is really great that through all that negativity they really do work.

Before I was uable to go to work regularly, staying in bed crying and panicking in the morning instead. I didn't want to see friends as I felt I would panic and not be able to be myself. Almost like being trapped.
    So to everyone out there who is experiencing the same crippling state of mind at the moment, there is hope. Go to your doctors and give the medication a chance.

Its not all peachy with the meds, for instance I have put on weight (a stone in the 4 months, although I am eating a lot more, maybe as a result of being a bit depressed). I have also lost all interest in sex and the ability to enjoy it, not good (does this change, anyone know?). I also find it hard to get excited about things, very apathetic/can't be bothered hich upsets me, particularly when it has to do with seeing friends, family and boyfriend.
    I am also very uninterested in maintaining any kind of appearance that i am interested in things at work that i am not, i,e. not impressing the boss.

While these things are not great, they are nothing compared to the crippling nature of the anxiety attacks. At least this way I can get on with life a little better. I hope anyone who is panicking nd thinks thereis no way forward can read this and see that however cynical you are about them, medications are worth giving a shot.

Thanks

Re: Experiences on Citalopram for anxiety....so far

Hey clueless83uk,

It's always good to hear about peoples experiences, especially if they have a positive stance.

I agree with a lot of what you've said about taking cit, I've been on it for almost 6 months and it's helped immensely. The weight gain has shocked me, I've not changed any eating habits and still try and keep some exercise in my routine, but have jumped a clothes size very quickly which does concern me! Also the apathetic feeling isn't always great, but I also like it too cos I feel protected from anxiety.

Any thoughts on how long you plan to stay on cit? Hope things continue to improve for you.

C x

Hi and thanks for that positive post. I started citalopram again 18 days ago and am still struggling with the anxiety. I really want to feel better so I can enjoy the parties and holidays a bit. The anxiety I have is with me all the time and in the past I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I took citalopram until summer 2009 and switched to cymbalta but it really left me tired a lot. I am just so worried about the citalopram not working agai, etc. I have been at my full dose for about 11 days now so it is still early and I keep trying to remember that.
    When I was on citalopram the first time the doctor told me to tough it out with the sexual issues and they would probably go away and they did. Hopefully they will for you too.
    How long did it take to get relief from the anxiety once you were at your full dose?
    Thanks,
    Elaine

hi i am also new to this i have been on citalopram for 3 months on 20mg i im still suffering panic quite bad any ideas when i will start to feel the benefit thanks

Thread Information