Thread: docs told me to stop taking cit, eeeek :S

Question docs told me to stop taking cit, eeeek :S

So after just over 7 weeks on cit I've been told to come off it because it's numbed my feelings so much (for anyone who doesn't know I was told I have mild bipolar). He said I probably wouldn't get and side effects because I've only been on it for such a short time and that if I do really hit rock bottom I can make an emergency appointment with him.
    I'm scared though, I hate feeling nothing, but I'm scared about feeling all my negative thoughts again

I've been told to try and think positively, it's ment to be some psychological thing that apparently helps but I know it never helped in the past. The other bummer of the day was about being reffered to a pshychiatrist, because the NHS is so under funded and under staffed they get together every Monday and go though all the refferals and pick who should see who. This means because I'm not trying to kill myself or something like that I'm not as serious a case as some others and I would probably end up seeing a psychologist or even a councillor! I'm not being funny but I'd like to see someone who can give me a decent diagnosis one day. The only way around it is to go private which I'm 99% sure I can't afford. Sorry for the rant but I just feel like I'm being swept under the carpet, again. I am going back in the new year (sooner like if I said I go cuckcoo again) but I now feel obliged to look into private sectors just so I can get some decent treatment...

Re: docs told me to stop taking cit, eeeek :S

Im sorry Lizzie Thats not good to hear .I hope you get the help you deserve sometime soon .7WEEKS is long enough to get side effects coming off Citalopram .You need to come off slowly rather than abrupt discontinuation .B***dy Dr sounds crap ..Sorry but this makes me mad when I hear this . Hope you dont suffer bad and feel better soon .PLEASE keep posting .luv Sue x

why the heel did he prescibe them in the first place..... get another opinion and what i have read you can get side effects in that time if yiu went cold turkey.

He prescribed them to try them out because it's not a servere case of bipolar, like I think I may have mentioned before I'm not trying to kill myself one day and buying a ferrari the next. I know there is a problem though, but I like this doctor because I've asked others and they've said it's nothing, he's the only one who's noticed it for what it is because he used to be a psychiatrist. He even admitted that pretty much all the other doctors hate mental health problems in that surgery because they don't have as much training or something, I don't know.

Does anyone know how long it takes to be completely out of your system? I thought I was having awful side effects before because I was sick about 15 times in 4 hours, but I rang the docs and said it's probably a bug but I think I had a reaction to the panadol I took for toothache.
    Anyway, that's another story!
    I have felt really low today though, I just felt like everyone was out to get me, I was so miserable at work, not to mention this awful toothache (wisdom tooths coming through!) the thing that set it off yesterday was the guy I like deleting me off facebook again, we're so on and off but I've not done anything wrong to my knowledge and he hasn't replied to my texts, but it burst the bubble of emotions, it was the first time I cried in nearly 2 months although I could barely cry which made me want to cry more! I just feel I'm waiting for it all to come out now. Luckily I've phoned in sick for tomorrow so I can relax tomorrow but I don't like feeling so crap again, and I'm sure it's only going to get worse.

Sorry for yet another rant but it really helps to get it out.

Citalopram has a half life of abt 36hrs .Then you will have to adapt to less serotonin .The discontinuation effects will be worse the first three weeks but can last less or longer .Everyone is different .All the Best Lizzie .sue x

Thread Information