Thread: Colitis, IBS, Chrones

Colitis, IBS, Chrones

Hi,

I've had anxiety/panic attacks for about 30 years. I also developed colitis about 20 years ago.

Research on the subject of bowel diseases doesn't have a definitive answer as to what causes it. The main causes are generally given as; a family member had it and/or bad diet and/or stress.

However, I am convinced that stress causes it - the churning stomach producing acids, the constant movement of the bowels during anxiety etc.

I was wondering if there are any other anxiety sufferes on this forum who've also developed colitis, IBS, chrones or other bowel diseases?

Take care

Re: Colitis, IBS, Chrones

Alot of us have IBS ..I got mine after a very bad bout of stress .I found it very difficult to cope with at first ,but have bouts every now and again which I now manage very well .There are few members on here with Crohns ,NomorePanic ( Nicola ) the founder of this site has it . SUE X

Thanks for the reply. I guess it seems fairly obvious that there's a link between anxiety & bowel disease, although the experts won't say for definite.

I would be interested to know if/how anyone out there has managed to ease or cure their Colitis, IBS, Crohns.

Thanks.

Hi Wavey, medication (mebeverine/colofac) and Fybogel worked pretty well for IBS for me, but I've recently been able to stop taking them after being put on celloid minerals by a naturopath x

thanks for the reply

I think a natural remedy is always better than taking perscription medicine - I'm assuming celloid menrals are natural?

Did you also have to change your diet?

thanks

Hi Wavey, yes, they are natural. There's a fair amount of info about them on the internet. There's a variety you can buy in Holland and Barrett, but the ones I take can only be prescribed by a "professional" health practitioner.

There's quite a lot of things I've stopped eating or cut down on over the years. Off the top of my head... cauliflower, root veg, muesli, rich foods, some spicy things. Recently I've also had probs with some dairy products - milk and cheese mainly. Hope this helps.

Yes I have Crohn's as Sue said and there is no cure for it.

Mine is treated with medication but I was very ill at one point and had a drain in my abdomen for 7 months draining abcesses.

Diet is the main thing that keeps mine under control and I am on a low fibre diet but I have been told to avoid stress as that will definitely aggrevate it so I am sure there is some truth in it.

I also have IBS which doesn't help!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

thanks for the replies,

I am currently taking Asacol tablets for my colitis but have also changed my diet quite a lot.

Foods I have cut out are: potatoes, bread, peas, beans, broccoli, citrus fruits, red meat, cheese, milk, sugar, tea, coffee plus I always peel the skin off of any fruit I do eat e.g. pears, apples.

The food change is fairly recent so I'm hoping to see some benefits from it over the next few weeks. I've definitely cut out the bloating feelings I used to get after eating plus I think the pains around my colon are getting slightly less - fingers crossed this is the case!

Oh, I've also started doing some deep breathing relaxation exercises as I am convinced anxiety is the overall reason for the problems.

Thread Information