Thread: question for ocd sufferers

question for ocd sufferers

Hi does any ocd sufferer have ocd behaviour related to thier body eg constantly checking for lumps /rashes/ ect or thier bodily functions pulse /ect or bodily sensations aches/pains/stomach sensations or anyone obsessed with checking thier saliva /urine /stools for blood or thier skin for moles my therapist says most health anxiety sufferers also have ocd and that is where the compulsive checking comes in so would be interesting to here your input x

Re: question for ocd sufferers

Okay, remember that anxiety in of itself will produce vigilence in the manner described and particularly so in the case of health anxiety that would not be defined as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Many sufferers of actual OCD aren't aware of the origin which produces the compulsory behaviors, the nature of which typically draws the patient to seek help. It's the unique symbiosis between the obsession and the compulsion that characterizes it as OCD.

Constant vigilence to signs of trouble driven by fearfulness of serious disease is most often associated with pure anxiety.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is one of the most misdiagnosed disorders and very careful evaluation must be undertaken to distinguish it from similar patterns that do not rise to the level of constituting OCD.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Hi. I'm not a huge fan of labels. But here is some info for you.

1) OCD Can Mimic Other Disorders

"Obsessive Compulsive Disorder may manifest with fears of contracting severe illnesses, such as cancer, venereal diseases or AIDS. These somatic obsessions may resemble hypochondria. Despite the similarities, the OCD patient will often have a typical history of various obsessions and compulsive symptoms that are not primarily somatic (e.g. fears of hitting someone, compulsions to count or check)." http://www.healthyplace.com/anxiety-panic/ocd-center/ocd-obsessive-compulsive-disorder-in-adults/menu-id-60/

2) " There are some differences, however, between Hypochondriasis and OCD. Hypochondriasis fears are, by definition, fueled by bodily sensations. In OCD, bodily perceptions rarely precede obsessions or complusions." -Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: Theory, Research, and Treatment By Richard P. Swinson

3) Hypochondriasis and OCD

"OCD, of course, involves intrusive thoughts (obsessions) and urges to perform rituals (compulsions) that reduce obsessional anxiety. As you might notice from the case description of Donna above, there are definite overlaps in the clinical picture of hypochondriasis and OCD.
    Specifically, persistent fears about illness in hypochondriasis HC are similar to obsessional thoughts in OCD. Similarly, attempts to seek reassurance in hypochondriasis are akin to compulsive checking rituals in OCD. That is, checking behaviors in hypochondriasis are an attempt to reduce illness fears much as compulsive rituals are an escape from obsessional anxiety (e.g., checking to make sure I did not make a mistake). However, there are also some important differences. In particular, people with hypochondriasis show more fears of bodily sensations and less awareness that their fears are senseless compared with people with OCD. In my mind, hypochondriasis is a form of OCD. In fact, as I describe below, I tend to use the same treatment techniques as I would use to help someone with OCD." http://www.ocdchicago.org/images/uploads/pdf/EP13.pdf

thankyou captain caveman that is really interesting and its so accurate thanks x

Thread Information