Thread: Worry

Worry

Does anyone else worry as much as i do. For a week now ive had a mild sore throat and i cant stop thinking that it might be throat cancer. When ever i have a pain or symptom however mild i always think the worst possible prognosis. If i have a headache its a brain tumour, if i have an ulcer in my mouth ive got mouth cancer. I just wish i could stop thinking about dying and start living my life. Some days im ok and other days im terrible, i have a fab husband whom i have told about my health anxiety, hes extremely supportive and caring. Ive just recently started to get worse and i havent said anything to him as im embarrassed and know im being stupid. I also have two beautiful children and a lovely home i should be happy and enjoy what i have, instead i feel as though im slippping back to how i was 2 years ago. Any suggestions, im already on antidepressents and my gp is aware of the problem.

Thanks
    Becks

Hi Becks,

The best advice I can give you is to keep talking to your partner. Acknowledge that you have 'anxiety' and that you are doing your best to deal with it on a day to day basis.

I can TOTALLY connect with what you are saying and I have been in a similar situation myself for the past year or so. Try and hold on to how you feel on the good days and try to remember how you feel. When the not so good days come round, try and go easy on yourself. Dont beat yourself up by thinking 'I should stop freaking out about my health'. That usually makes me feel worse. I now try to think to myself, well, I've been here before and I just got to ride it out until a better day. And they usually come quicker than you expect.

Take care mate.

Dan

-----------------------------
    Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Glide me towards you.....

Becks

CBT is the best way forward for Health Anxiety - can you ask the GP to be referred for that?

Nicola

Becks

I could be listening to myself here. I am exactly the same as you. Every little symptom has to be something serious. I also have two kids and a lovely home and my husband knows the way I am but I am also embarassed because I know I am being stupid. I cannot even go to my GP as I am too embarassed about it all. Just to let you know that you are not alone. I have just started writing a journal every day and think that this is helping a bit. Just write down everything that comes into your head, however over the top it may seem and you will find when you read back that you are just over-reacting to things. Thats the idea anyway.

Ttfn

Thread Information