Thread: My Dr won't prescribe this

My Dr won't prescribe this

I have severe anxeity and panic attacks and my Dr won't prescribe anthing for them - all I want is something to calm me down when i get myself into a state. Anyone know why he is so reluctant to prescribe valium etc?

Laura

Re: My Dr won't prescribe this

Some doctors just won't cuz valium and diazepam are extremely addictive. Not if you're responsible and take it sensibly though, but still some doctors are really reluctant of it! My doctor won't offer me anything but propranolol lool!

If you're anxiety and panic attacks are really really bad you could change doctors and see what they say? xx

Hi Laura, try bach rescue remedy. The nmp shop sells the lozenges, so if you feel anxiety building, pop one in your mouth like a sweet, and no-one will be any the wiser. Gps dont like to px valium these days, I know a lady on 50mg a day (thats a massive amount, we only gave 5mg in hospital for epilectic fits), they are so addictive, and withdrawel has been likened to heroin withdrawel. You dont want to go there, believe me.

Use lavender oil, try the paper bag to re-breathe, start listening to relaxation cds.. x

No doctor at my medical centre will prescribe diazepam, but any doctor should offer an alternative to adddress the physical symptoms of anxiety; either a beta-blocker or, as in my case, low dosage trifluoperazine.

My Psychiatrist has me on 3 Diazepam a day. I even asked for an increase but she explained how it can be addictive but says on very stressful occasions i can take 2 at a time instead of spreading the 3 out over the day.

I don't find them at all addictive because depending how my day is going i sometimes forget to take them!

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

My GP gives me Valium, but only because I have been his patient for a long long time, and he knows I'll only use in emergencies. I usually get 2 scripts of 28 tablets, 2mg per year - so he knows I'm not taking them excessively. It's quite easy to get addicted to Valium, and it is really really hard and unpleasant to get off of them. This is why most GPs won't prescribe - and if I ever see another GP in the practice (when mine's on holiday) they won't give me the Valium, and tell me to book an appointment with him.

Have you tried any of the anti-depressants? They are for anxiety too.

Dahlia

Thread Information