Thread: Amitriptyline withdrawal, any advice?

Amitriptyline withdrawal, any advice?

I have been on Amitriptyline (10mg) most of this year (since February) and I really want 2011 to be the year I come off them. I am in a much better place than I was this time last year and feel well equiped to cope with my panic & anxiety naturally as and when it occurs - I have read so many conflicting experiences of Amitrptyline and withdrawal from it I just wanted some advice on how to come off safely. I know that my GP would say just stop as it is a low dose and he is very matter of fact with these things but I had pretty bad side effects in the early days of taking them and don't want anything to set me back ... Also could do with some practical advice such as how to withdraw slowly and at what pace - the tablets are too tiny to split in half so should I go alternate days etc and for how long ... help!

Re: Amitriptyline withdrawal, any advice?

I was on amitriptyline for many years until i decided to stop them. I know they are hard to cut up but i did manage to. Just do it as slowly as you want to, theres no hurry.
    Break one in half....ish and see how you feel on that for say a week, then maybe break the half up so you are taking a bit less for the next week.
    Just see how you go.

I know the tablets are tiny, but it is really helpful if you can half the dose for a week or two before you try to come off them. So if you can do that then try at 5mg for a week or so, then have 5mg every second day for a week, and then stop. You may be lucky and not get too many effects of withdrawal on a low dose, but just in case, make sure you have a bit of supply so that if the withdrawal gets really bad you can always go back onto 5mg until you can get some advice from a doctor. I was silly when I stopped my meds a few years ago when I was better and didn't reduce my dose, I just stopped cold turkey (I was on a higher dose and different med). I got terrible side effects, but what helped me was eating lots of fruit, particuarly oranges. Exercising is also pretty important when you're coming off medication because it helps to release chemicals that make you feel better. SO while you are comming off try and go for a 30 minute walk every day or something

Thanks for the responses guys I will certainly take both your comments on board when I decide to take the plunge! I especially like the diet & exercise tip - hoping that will help, makes sense that it would. Exercise is the one thing that has helped me more than anything this year and I now run 3 times a week anyways so hopefully that will help with the meds.

I am on amitriptylene 25mg nightly for fibromyalgia, have been for 20 yrs. If I miss a week, it does not do much of anything, I do not have the fibromyalgia muscle pain for two weeks. But it always came back.

Good luck.

This is a good thread and answers the question I was asking on my thread (which I think I will delete, if I can work out how, being as this one is so helpful), I should have looked before posting. I also posted the same on another section and have answered myself.

Earthworm, how are you?

Hi, Glad this thread has helped you too, it's always good to know there are others going through similar things as you, especially when you feel like no one could ever truly understand ... that's why I love this site so much.

I'm not too bad at the moment thanks ... still thinking of coming of Ami in the new year all things being equal.

Good.
    The book I mentioned (by Pam Armstrong) on another thread is very good but unfortunately it does not say anything about Amitriptyline. It deals primarily with benzodiazepines which are highly addictive and sudden withdrawal from any of them is quite a big deal. It is still a helpful book because the subject matter, dependence on any drug, is the same regardless of the drug. I particularly wanted to know about withdrawal from Amitriptyline though.

Thread Information