Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just had a smear test

Just had a smear test

One for the ladies obviously! I had it done an hour ago and for some reason I found it very painful when the nurse put in that whatever its called that holds you open to do the smear. I have found it painful occasionally in the past seems to depend on who is doing it.
    She said as they scrape the cervix to expect slight pink discharge as the cervix bleeds when it is scraped. I have got a slight pink discharge but I didn't ask her how long it would last - I vaguely remember years ago bleeding slightly after the test but cannot remember how long it lasted.

Common sense is tellimg me it is only an hour since it was done and I will probably have a bit of pink until my body has cleaned the blood out and its healed itself but the HA is worrying that the pink discharge won't stop stupid I know but hope you all understand.

Re: Just had a smear test

Hey hun,

Last time I had a smear it really hurt too infact it was agony I also had pink discharge an if I remember rightly I had mine for around a week! Smears are horrible things but so worth the pain!

xxx

Hi

My last smear really hurt and i bled for a few days. Try not to worry, it will settle down.

mandie x

same here, maybe a shower might help or a bath :-)

thanks everyone you have really helped me. I didn't realise you could bleed for so long afterwards. I still feel very sore - it only seems the last few smears that have hurt so much - wonder if they have changed how they do it- don't they use a brush or something now rather than smearing it on a slide??

Off topic slightly but do they really hurt? I've never had one as I'm only 19 - 20 in July though so think I am due next year at some point. and can you get your gp to do it as opposed to a nurse, would rather someone I trust? I'm not too worried, just wondering?
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

You girls have it so bad! All we have to cope with is shaving!

Us guys should treat you to a pamper day as standard after every one of these proceedures that you have to endure!

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousM View Post
    You girls have it so bad! All we have to cope with is shaving!

Us guys should treat you to a pamper day as standard after every one of these proceedures that you have to endure!
    I agree!!! Haha :P

Slightly off topic perhaps, but I just wondered how long the results of a smear take 2 come out? I am scared of going 4 my smear, but even more scared of the results, and I don't want 2 make an appointment 2 get 1 done before Xmas in case u get the results within a day or 2, as if itz bad news I wouldn't want 2 no before Xmas :S xx

Smear tests should be painless - mine have been and I dont know anyone personally who has found it painful. If it hurts then perhaps the doctor/nurse isn't using enough lubricant - you should ask for this if they don't provide it!

Results - they used to take 6 weeks, my first one definitely did. But I had mine a month or so ago and was told they now try to get all results out within 3 weeks. My result was abnormal and I had it within a week even though I have no urgent action, just another smear booked in 6 months. Any abnormal results needing a colposcopy are, I believe, dealt with relatively quickly. Try not to worry about it, the likelihood is that the result will be normal. An abnormal result is a nightmare for us HA sufferers and I had a big panic over mine but I have calmed down a bit now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information