Thread: Long term anxiety

Long term anxiety

I have had anxiety for an awfully long time I am 58 now, for years I took valium, then spent years getting off it. I have tried CBT but it doesn't work for me, for nearly 10 years I have seen a pschodynamic counsellor and it has kept me going. Last month for the first time in my life I cancelled a holiday and since then I have suffered quite bad bouts of serious anxiety/ doubting myself. Any suggestions ideas, I have thought of hypnotherapy or am I just wanting someone else to sort my problems for me. A major cause I believe of my anxiety was my anxious mother and she died last year. I would be grateful of replies from people who have experienced similar anxiety.
    Many thanks
    Tony

Re: Long term anxiety

I kinda know where you are coming from. I have had anxiety for a while. My father also suffered from axiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia. He passed away suddenly last month and I find myself more anxious than ever. I have lost so much weight from not eating. I feel like I'm becoming him. I feel a lot of guilt. I'm 26 and I never thought I would lose a parent this young. This is hard to deal with and I have a constant feeling of butterflies in my stomach. Only time I'm ok is when I'm sleep, or at work.

Hi Tony
    Do you use any relaxation techniques/breathing techniques, or read any books to self-help? Ive been listening to Susan Jeffers for years, "Feel the Fear"....and you can use this on a walkman/ipod while out and about to.

I swear by lavender, and use it in a burner, neat on my hands for instant relaxation in the case of sudden panic, and also diluted in milk for the bath.

Why not try hypnotherapy? Meds work for some, CBT for others, Acupuncture for yet others, if it works for you, it works. Its worth a try.x

If you have survived with anxiety for 58 years, you will survive another 58 at least! Very reassuring to younger members that anxious people are not all young then...die?!

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

There is no quick fix. I have had anxiety on and off for 20 years. When I am busy and not thinking about it it goes.
    Try the hypnotherapy and relaxation tapes to take your mind away from the feelings and scary thoughts.

Thread Information