Thread: How can I stop these rituals?

Unhappy How can I stop these rituals?

Since some of my other anxiety has decorated my OCD is picking up again and I can't stop hand washing..I mean I actually want to hand wash more as it feels right or I have a massive urge to even if I'm not thinking about being clean.

I also have an OCD fear of going crazy..can't stop worrying...is there any tips to get over OCD?

Re: How can I stop these rituals?

Im not sure I could give you advice since Im not a medical doctor but if you look to your left hand side on here and see under problems and issues there is some great reading in there about ocd. I went there the other night and read about health anxiety and it made me feel better.Hope this helps. Michael

OCD + Health anxiety seem to be my major issues at the moment..and I'm trying to get a life back where I can go out and realise I'm not dying or crazy. In the past I got a self confidence boost from reducing my OCD rituals but I find it so hard to let go..feel very trapped in my OCD. However the HA I can talk about and relate to people about.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    is there any tips to get over OCD?
    Greetings Phil. Here are some tips for getting over obsessive and compulsive behaviour:

First, here are some coping strategies to AVOID: "behavioural distraction, rationalization, reassuring yourself or seeking reassurance from others, replacing the obsession with a positve thought, saying "stop", relaxation, self questioning, self punishment, analyzing the thought, or engaging in a mental or behavioural compulsion." - That info is from the book "Overcoming Obsessive Thoughts" (Purdon & Clark)

-----------------

Bruce Hyman suggests:

MAGNIFYING eg: (I should point out that the examples for the magnifying technique could be a bit of a shock to some who are not familiar with this technique)

In response to the thought "what if I lose control and harm my child with a knife?", you would picture yourself grabbing a knife and charging towards your child crying "I''m going to cut you, and I'm going to like it".

Or if the thought is about potentially doing something sexual to a child, you would picture yourself becoming inflamed with lust and losing control and saying "Hot Damn! I just can't wait to have a little fun with that child. This is the best thing that has happened to me in weeks!"

WATCHING AND WAITING

Watching the thought come and go from your mind without judging it. Just let the thought become extinct on it's own.

ACCEPTING UNCERTAINTY

eg: "If I am a knife wielding terror (or child molester or violent serial killer), then I just am."

or

"I might be a danger to myself or others, or I might not be. I'll probably only know for sure one way or another once I do something, and I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it."

REFOCUSING

Allow the thought to remain in your mind, and then gently shift your behaviour to something that reflects your values and intentions, AS IF YOU NEVER HAD THE THOUGHT AT ALL

-------------
    Do yourself a massive favour and have a read of this website and all the articles on there. It has helped countless people over the years: http://www.ocdonline.com/defineocd.php

self help...look for the book at Amazon UK
    http://www.amazon.com/Obsessive-Comp...ref=pd_sim_b_5

I have the Anxiety Dummies book. Could not hurt.

Thread Information