Thread: Superannoyed + when is longeterm longterm enough?!

Superannoyed + when is longeterm longterm enough?!

Hi all
    I've been suffering with severa anxiety attacks for about a year now, varying month to month. I'm on 40mg Citalopram and have been on this for the whole year, bar a little 4 week gap a while ago when I had to rebuild my meds from not picking up a prescription. It's taken 3 different doctors surgeries (so several doctors, as I've seen 2-3 at each surgery) and I've JUST been referred to a councillor.... i have at least 8 weeks to wait apparantly, just to get an appointment!!! I asked about CBT, but my Doctor said this is for "longterm" sufferers and only my councillor-to-be will be able to refer me. Over the last year, after chatting with my doctors (all of them) aboutmy history and medical past it's come to light that I may have suffered with this anxiety + depression for going on 10 years. Im so pissed it's taken this long to be referred, especially when all the doctors I've been to know my history, and at one point referred me to a psychiatrist!! (I then got discharged after 2 sessions because he was retiring...).

Gah mad rant I know, but it's making me more anxious than normal, and I hate it!!!

Re: Superannoyed + when is longeterm longterm enough?!

Hope you feel better soon. Michael

Dread, your GP is most certainly not correct. CBT is the preferred treatment for anxiety, this is in the NICE guidelines. If you type NICE ( NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF CLINICAL EVIDENCE) and anxiety, it will bring up the the recommendations for anxiety. Print this off and take to your GP, it actually states that there is very little evidence for the counselling for anxiety. Honestly, this is not right. What part of the country are you in? Most countys now have an IAPT service, which is increasing access to psychological therapies. This was designed so people with anxiety/ depression can have access to the most evidence based talkign therapies, ie, in your case probably CBT. If you let me know I'll have a look for you xx

Well, I know CBT is the preferred treatment for anxiety, it just seems the Doctors don't ever refer people there, at least not the people I've spoken to in my area - I'm in Derby, city centre area.
    I did request CBT which is whne he told me what he did, but I didn't push for it because he said he couldn't refer me, and on the day I was feeling a bit bluergh...I felt that talking to him about anxiety would have bought it on. He told me about a women's councilling place that's on my street, but they don't refer for CBT....if I wanted a councillor I could go there and be seen within 1 day instead of waiting 8 weeks, he just didn't get that. I'ma look up these IAPT services, and see what I can get access to. Thanks

Update: I looked up the IAPT services and found a self-referral place near my home that do CBT, councilling, groups etc. I have referred myself...so lets hope I get an answer!!
    Last edited by dread; 16-12-10 at 23:50.

go to a different doctor and and ask for a referral.
    what the Councillor say about referring you? I don't know it works over there but i think if your doctor WANTED to he could have easily referred you.

Quote Originally Posted by mishel View Post
    go to a different doctor and and ask for a referral.
    what the Councillor say about referring you? I don't know it works over there but i think if your doctor WANTED to he could have easily referred you.
    I haven't seen a councillor yet, I have to wait 8-12 weeks even to go there. I got a letter through this morning from the DerbyPTS (psychological therap services) and have filled my forms in for self-referral, hopoefully that will prove more use!!

oh thats great news dread, I have friends that work in that service and it really is very good and sounds much more like what you need x

Thread Information