Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CBT vs Psychotherapy??

CBT vs Psychotherapy??

Hi all

Im currently in a dilemma.
    I understand this site deals with panic disorders and my problem is primarily that
    (Panic disorder, Health anx, emetophobia & travel anxiety plus other phobias including separation anxiety).

However i also have borderline personality disorder & OCD that stops me being able to talk about my issues fully and am recovering from an eating disorder, problems with not knowing if i want to get better even tho i do and lots of anger.

Since returnign from 18 months in hospital ive been seeing a brilliant therapist. They are the best in the area and very flexible, prepared to see me long term and work with me in the best way that suits me. However.. they are also saying there is no quick fix seein as ive been ill since about age 3 (hard to believe i know) almost all my life.

Anyway we are using no set method but its not really working. I feel im not making progress at all having had about 15 sessions.
    Have had CBT in the past and it really helped me so was wondering whether i should ask to try this again? Am in a lucky position that i can if i want to but am afraid of leaving her sessions and making the wrong choice as i feel i can talk to her. but its all talk and no action (very psychotherapy based) and this approach has never worked for me. Weve even tried setting an agenda but just float around the issues every time-as theres so much to cover.

I understand how lucky i am to have this so its not a moan its just i want to recover as fast as possbile whilst maintaining it

Please could someone let me know what they would do? Shold i ask to be referred for CBT instead? Will CBT deal with resistance to therapy, anger, identity issues and separation anxiety as wel as the HA and OCD and panic disorders? I have been ill for so long just want to get well now cant stand waiting or purely talking any longer..

Many thanks,

~glowly~

Re: CBT vs Psychotherapy??

Hi ~glowly worm~

Could you sign up for CBT while carrying on with your therapist? A two-pronged approach might be better for you, and it might be worthwhile checking out whether this is possible.

I understand how lucky i am to have this so its not a moan its just i want to recover as fast as possbile whilst maintaining it.

It's natural that you want to feel better as quickly as possible - I do, and I often feel angry and resentful because I'm saddled with all these horrible emotional disorders.

Regards

Hey downsinthenorth

Another most helpful reply thankyou
    It was most reasuring to feel im not odd in feeling angry about having all this stuff in fact im almost ready to burst with it.
    Your 2 pronged approach is a good idea, i might see if it is possible or whether it is ok to come staraight back to my current therapist if cbt doesnt help.

Sorry u have to struggle too :( but glad for your support

~ glowly ~

Hello glowly,

I appreciate that it's almost a month since you started this thread so you may have already sorted something out for yourself. However, have you considered Schema Therapy? From the description you have provided, I would suggest that it may be worth investigating. I'd particularly like to draw your attention to the following:

http://bpd.about.com/od/treatments/a/schema.htm

FYI, I have just re-started Schema Therapy after a 15-month gap. I used to see a private therapist but am just about to start up with an NHS therapist. I have OCD, GAD and 'other issues'.

Best wishes,

keval

There is a similar thread on the board in clinical psychology. I suggest you check if you have not already. Although psychoanalysis in its own right has lost its luster, psychodynamic therapy, which relies on the same theories and history, is alive, well and are validated empirically. Pop psychology is certainly celebrated the TCC and its partners, and especially for good reason. But in terms of efficiency, I would not necessarily go with a victory for the TCC.

Glowly I am biased because traditional therapy didn't help me much and cbt has given me my life back. So naturally I would recommend cbt. The one thing about cbt is that you really need to keep at countering your thoughts in the TEA forms everyday even after your cbt therapy is over. It has made all the difference for me

Recommend you discuss it with your Psychotherapist and also discuss with someone who has a CBT approach. Ideally if you can find a therapist who has trained in both CBT and Psychodynamic then it will solve the dilemma.

Places to find these are

The British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists
    http://www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk/therapists/

and
    The British Association of Behaviour and Cognitive Psychotherapies

http://cbtregisteruk.com/

Accredited CBT practitioners will always have the letters MBABCP after their name

Good advice and links Martin

I'm biased because I spent years in psychotherapy and on meds with little to show for it. I am self treating using the cbt TEA forms from the book by sam obitz and having more success in four months of using them than I had total in psychotherapy. I can't speak long term but they sure help a lot in the short run.
    So I would at this point unequivocably say CBT over psychotherapy

Thankyou so much people

Mike i followed your advice, thank you
    In the end my therapist discussed it with the referrer for CBT and there is a list as long as the rest of my uni life. So she is using CBT under guidance of the top CBT person in the team. Its not doing much to be honest so quite frustrating but i think

Dave you have a good point. My consultants only advice was yet more medication.. I have been relying so much on others to fix me but the hardest thing is doing it myself. Im glad you are finding sam obitz helpful, ive never used his approach or heard of him so that gives me hope.
    I will check out his stuff and be back

Keep plodding!

~ glowly~ xx

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information