Thread: Medication?

Medication?

I hope all is well, I'm in a bit of a dilemma so i was just hoping for some advice. I was diagnosed with Anxiety and Depression about 5 years ago. I believe that the depression was overcome after about 2 years but do always worry about it returning and believe it has returned.

My doctor is lovely, however, i am worried as he has admited he has not much experience dealing with Anxiety (which i believe is my main problem) I have had courses of CBT and NLP during the 5 years.

Anyway, Sorry for the rambling in this post. Anxiety, for me, presents itself strangely, certain social situations in particular and i believe that i have a degree of agrophobia- I can't even walk down my street alone. However I am in my third year of University. (I live on Campus, and rarely stray from here aside from to go home when i have to get a lift) I have been reluctant to try medication before trying therapy but after years of CBT and an awful hypnotherapy experience, I decided to ask the Doctor about it. I had read about Citalopram and talked through this with him so this summer I began on 10mgs-- and it was then upped to 20 mgs. I experienced no change. I returned to my Doctor after 2 months, and he gave me a repeat prescription. I returned again, explaining that I was reluctant to continue taking Citalopram, as I felt it had no effect. I was hoping one of two things, the dose would be upped or he would prescribe something else. However, and this is where I take a bit of a grip with him- He believed I was doing well, and was at University and seemed to be alright. I think his exact words were 'Keep doing what you're doing.'

This has left me feeling quite abandoned, I do understand and appreciate all the things I can do. I can attend my lectures etc, however, I now don't know what else to try with regards to my anxiety and don't feel I can return to the doctors?

Really sorry for the long post, but thanks for reading.
    xx

Re: Medication?

Hi kat,

It really does sound to me that your GP (and this is so common in my experience) is not really LISTENING or taking in the fact that you are there saying that the meds are clearly not working for you, and if he was a good GP he would not be telling you that you seem to be ok....that is completely not for him to say!!! Anxiety is subjective and so is your response to the meds, and is not like just popping meds for a chest infection where a GP can tell if things are better or not, so how he comes to the conclusion that you are fine is beyond me hun! It takes a long discussion about what is better and what isn't better and what has changed and what hasn't since you started the meds, and he should be finding the meds that work for you personally, not fobbing you off.

My own personal belief is that a lot of GPs have zero understanding of mental health problems (and I reckon a fear too)and just want the easy life of shoving some pills and having done.

Please try if you can to go back and see him, and inform him in no uncertain terms that the meds are simply not working for you. I know it takes a lot of courage to do so, especially if you are already trying to cope with things - but as a clinician he should sit and properly listen to your need for help hun.

Lots of love.xx

Hey Debs,
    Thank you so much for your advice, I think I will go back. I just wanted some reassurance, He did make me feel like I had nothing to complain about. Might try and see another Doctor at the practice? I don't doubt his ability as a Doctor i think his expertise might just lie in other areas.

Thanks again.

Kat

That's ok Kat.

That is encouraging then if you are able to see another Doc. That is one good thing about a practice! I agree with you that I think some Doctors just don't have much contact with mental health sufferers, though you would think that with such a large number of the population suffering from phobias/anxiety/depression/OCD, etc. these days they would do!

Anyway Kat, wishing you all the best.xxxxx

Thread Information