Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am i refusing help(tv show)

am i refusing help(tv show)

hi guys,,

i have had alot of coversation with TVZOE from channal 4 who wants to make a programme on agarophobia ,,
    she wanted to come and see me today to make a short film about me to take back with her, the dr who they are working with is one of the top docs in the country now surely anyone refuseing to see him must be CRAZY right,,

the thing is i have told no-one about my problem no family only 1-2 friends and they deserted me,,i dont think i could deal with the exposure EVERONE knowing,,,but am i silly cause at the end of the day if someone truly wants to get better they shouldnt care what people think right???????????????

i do truly and honestly want to get better but i have dealt with this on my own and feel i am making progress,,i know this dr is one of the best in the country but how can he claim to make you better in just a fortnight filming with you??

i have had this condition 8-10 years and cant imagine it going in just 1 fortnight,,

plaese could you give me some advice cause right now i feel pretty guity for not talking this oppertunity to help myself get better,,

i text her this morning saying i have changed my mind and didnt want to do it,,

thanks,

trevor,

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

Hi Trevor,

It says more about people when they desert you, than it does about you. You should try not to worry too much. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity you have been given and i can understand that you have reservations. Could you not ask for more detailed information as to what would actually happen in those 2 week before making a final decicion? on one mode of thought, this could be just what you need to help you and with it being a programme, they are going to ensure you get all the best treatment available to ensure the programme goes as planned, and if its the best person to halp then why not give it a try? You could eventually regret not giving it a go. Just think about yourself at this point and what would be best for you, who cares what people think if at the end of it it is going to benifit you?

Try to be brave trevor, chin up and im sure you will do what you can.

Tack care

Amanda XX

whats for you wont go by you

Hi Trevor,

Firstly I will just like to say I admire your courage to even consider it I only wish I could even take steps towards something like this. I think what put me off is like you say is everyone knowing your business but I think if you have come this far you should think what the hell and go for it.

This is one of the top doctors out there, I work in the medical industry and I know from speaking to doctors I know that he is well known. That was something that put me off is the nature of my work, can you imagine dealing with doctors and they know you have a mental illness I feel I would lose there respect.

I really wish you the best of luck with what ever you do I don’t feel it is my place to try influencing your decision and only you can decide what is right for you and your family.

Best of Luck,

Robert

Hi there,

I think you should really do what you feel is best for you, no guilt. Yes, this is a great opportunity, he is a top doctor etc. But being in a TV environment where you have a camera following you around and filming your every move - well, that might be quite tough going.

As Amanda says, I think it might be worth trying to find out a bit more about the whole process before you make a final decision.

Henri

Hi trevor

I too have had a lot of convos with TVZOE and found her really easy to talk to.
    I have had to send her photos and she has also spoken to my partner at length but I have heard nothing yet so I presume someone else has got the place.
    At first I was really happy at the thought of being treated by these very qualified people but after thinking it right through it is daunting and scarey and I too have thought about backing out even at this early stage.
    The thought of getting the best treatment available and also being able to put the thoughts of us sufferers across makes me want to do it and of course the thought that I might be cured but if it comes to the crunch and I have to take the next step I am sure I will feel exactly the same as you.
    Take some time and do whats right for you. Please don't not do it because you are worried about what others think about you.
    We will all support you and understand whatever you decide.

Love
    Spice
    xxx

Hi Trevor.

Prof Paul Salvakis (or something like that!) I believe is the person you are talking about. I attended a couple of his lectures at the recent Anxiety Conference in London and I must say that I really liked his style and would think that it would be great to be treated by him.

One of the cruel difficulties with this condition is that it carries so much stigma with it. I have been fairly liberal with telling people myself. I don't shout it from the rooftops but if people ask then I will talk about it. It's also been amazing how many people come out of the closet once one person mentions the subject or once they realise the predicament you are in. The number of people that have opened up to me about past problems of panic, anxiety and depression has been staggering. And the most bizarre thing for me has been that it's often been thsoe people who seem so confident and to "have it all" so to speak. However, often they will also say "please don't mention this to anyone will you".

It would be a real shame to miss out on such a great opportunity but I can fully understand your reluctance to appear on TV. I have never been one who has any desire to be on TV regardless of the reason but to do so in these circumstance would make it that much more difficult for me.

Can you go a bit further down the path, maybe get to meet the Prof and discuss things and also retain a power of vito so that you could drop out later should you feel uncomfortable with it?

Whatever your decision, it's important not to feel guilty. There's no reason to. You can find cure outside of this.

Great opportunities often throw up difficult decisions and making decisions in an anxiety state is never easy as you chew it over a million times and change your mind every minute!!

Good luck whichever way you go.

Cheers,
    Trev

Go for it trev, u will smake your self feel so much nbetter for getting out there and overcoming this fear, if he is a top doc than what other advice do you need when he sets you straight, i lost some friends thru this but u win some u loose some and ive won some on here xx

hi trevor,

if you dont think that it will help your situation, 'how can they make you better in a fortnight', then i would say you've made the right decission to pull out. because if you dont believe in the recovery, i doubt it would be successful.

there are different ways to look at the tv exposure - how many ppl might you inspire by watching your recovery. keeping your illness a secret is part of the problem that helps maintain it, and that doesnt mean shout it from the rooftops, i found a big part of my recovery was accepting me as the person i was.

anyway, very brave even contemplating it, good luck with the decission .. andrew

Hi Trevor,

i too put my name forward to Zoe but at the last minute changed my mind after discussing it with my husband and family. My family thought it was a great idea, they just want to see me well and was in favour of me taking part, my husband on the other hand wasnt keen on the idea, he never tells his friends about my illness and i think it would embarress him. I myself have never been afraid to tell anyone that i suffer with Agoraphobia i havent lost any friends i think i have gained some, like Trev mentioned its amazing how many people have opened up to me about Anxiety/panic.

What ever you decision you must do what you think is right for you, i have suffered with Agrophobia like you for 8 to 10 years and if i am still like this in another 10 years i will be kicking my self for not taking such a good opportunity.

Good Luck

Andrea
    xxx

ooh it's a hard one isn't it?i've spoken to zoe and karen too.I enjoyed the talk but became unerved when i heard everything i was sayin was being typed!They wanted to speak to my other half but that was a big NO from him.When asked if i would go to london,i asked the question as an agoraphobic,HOW??It was like being offered the promised land ,being able to see it,but the huge spiky bridge is in the way!!i haven't heard anything since,which posed the question.are these folks wantin to help ME or do they want ME to help THEM?I cant say what you should do mate,follow your heart,and dont consider your famoly too much,it;s your life!or you could use this as an opportunity to 'come out'!!good luck with whatever you choose,we are here to support you.love mary-rose,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information