Thread: Getting myself really worked up... breathing problem!!

Getting myself really worked up... breathing problem!!

I was sat in work today and I was fine - im always anxious whilst i am there but iv learnt to accept that. My heart was racing slightly and i was anxious but didnt feel panicky or anything.. i was just getting on with things like i do most days..

But then i noticed my chest beginning to feel tight, it felt strained to breathe and i felt like i wasnt getting enough air! I felt like something was pressing down on my chest and i couldnt get any air in my lungs...
    I didnt get into a panic but my anxiety did increase and i just wanted to run away.... i did have thoughts like 'what if i stop breathing' 'what if i collapse and die' etc etc but at the same time i was trying to tell myself it was just panic (but i wasnt really believing myself!)

Everyone at work has very bad colds/flu so everyone was sniffling and sneezing so i was anxious about catching that..... but this feeling happened over 3 hours ago now and im still feeling abit the same - my chest and throat feels tight and all my muscles feel clenched in my neck etc... but im getting into abit of a state because im just about to leave my house to go and stay at my boyfriends for the night (i am never good staying away from home and apart from last weekend, i havnt stayed out for about 8-9 months!! He's jus moved into his his own house so iv made myself stay) It is more relaxed there and i know he'l be there to look after me if needed, but im terrified incase i stop breathing or struggle to breathe and then he has to call an ambulance etc etc etc i know it sounds so stupid!!!!!

I guess im just looking for abit of reassurance - has anyone felt like this before with their breathing???

Its christmas tomorrow and im dreading it because i dont want to panic but i know i probably will.

Anyway, wish my luck on staying out overnight... il proabably be awake all night and on here on my phone for reassurance xxx

Re: Getting myself really worked up... breathing problem!!

Hi, sorry you are not feeling well, I think it is all of the stress of the holiday catching up with you, sounds like you have been tensing the muscles in your neck and shoulders and of course your chest. I bet you have anticipatory anxiety about staying at your boyfriends house which is not helping.
    I no its easier said than done, but try to relax and just try to enjoy yourself its all the "what if" thinking that gets us in trouble.
    Hope you have a wonderful holiday

D

Re: Getting myself really worked up... breathing problem!!

Thank you for your reply - im here but i feel awful, I just want to run out and get to my home (my safe zone) but i know that wont help.... i just want to relax but i dont think its gona happen!
    Hate this - completely ruining my night x

Thread Information