Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: medication advice

medication advice

Hi I would like a bit of advice of taking Citalopram. I used it last just over two years ago but came off it as I was feeling alot better and I've been well since until Christmas eve when I had an anxiety attack in work.

I've put myself back on 20mg of citalpram which I take first thing the morning. I am also taking diazapan one in the morning to.. Trouble is I feel like I'm getting worse and the panic is hightening. Slept all of two hours last night.. as soon as I'm falling of I'm jolting up. Do you think in your experience it is better to take the medication before bed as opposed to first thing in the morning. My morning seems to be my worse time.
    I'd be so grateful for any advice

Helen

Hi HVC

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: medication advice

Hi and welcome

My advice would be to go see your GP rather than self dosing. I rather suspect you would have been better starting on 10mg and increasing as and when. Others with more experience of Cit may be able to ofer better/different advice but that’s my thoughts.

When I was on citalopram I switched to taking it in the morning as if I took it at night I got the jolts you are talking about.

First night I took them I didn't get to sleep until I was in A+E! It's going to be a couple of weeks until your body gets used to the citalopram again. And going straight back up to 20mg is probably a bit of a shock to the system.

I've never taken diazapan, when I started in citolpram I took propanolol for the first week to control the palpitations...

Does your doctor know you've started taking the tablets again?

thanks for the advice, no unfortunately I did not get to see my GP as my panics started on Christmas Eve in work, I will be ringing them tomorrow to make an appointment, although it will probably be difficult to get an early appointment. When I first went on them I did what you said and took 10mg for the first week then upped it to 20mg but the last time I was on them the doctor told me I could go straight onto 20mg ?? I will have to seek her advice again.
    thank you again

Hi,

In my own personal experience with citalopram, I always found it best to start on 10mg and then build up to 20mg as it then helped with the side effects. You are probably feeling more anxiety as this is what it does when you first start taking it. I would of personally spoke to my GP before starting again....but again thats just my opinion.

If you can manage to wether the storm and as you are already taking diazepam this should help with the added anxiety you should feel better ina couple pof weeks time but unfortunately srri's can cause increase anxiety when you first start taking them.

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care.
    Jo.xx

yes you are right.. I'm making an appointment to see my GP and today I've only take 10 mg and stayed off the diazapan.. I'll see how the day pans out and if I'm still feeling increased anxiety and panic through the day I'll take the diazapan later but hopefully won't need to. Its, as has been mentioned, weathering the storm. I know their going to get me back to my normal self soon enough its just getting through the next couple of weeks.

I'm not back in work until the 4th of Jan so I can have plenty of time to sort things out.

thanks all for your advice

I share your experience somewhat. I have started on 10 after being off 20 for 3 years. the side effects are present but no where near as bad as the first time. Worry is my particular weak spot. When you went up to 20 from 10 were the side effects as bad?

It's my forth day on 10. doing my best to get through the day by regular short walks, eating often, getting out of bed strait away to stop worry taking hold, and I'm armed with a worsdsearch, su-doku, radio tv and family to distract me! When I feel the panic I just feel it go through my body. I try to separate it from any thoughts so I'm dealing with one thing at a time. I tell my self it will pass and if needed breathe deeply in and out for the count of four. That last bit works well actually. I don't think there is anything wrong with going on 20 strait away if you can cope with the side-effects. Obviously you'll feel better sooner.

I forgot you mentioned sleep. Before the meds I was so anxious that I was doing the felling asleep jolting awake thing, I even called the doc at 5 in the morning because i couldn't sleep at all. Now I'm on the meds, taken in the morning,i sleep really well at night.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information