Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New year's resolutions?

New year's resolutions?

Anyone got any?

I've just finished a short course of CBT and have made mine using some of the techniques I've learned. It helped me to realise that life isn't all about achievements but being happy and enjoying the journey toward those achievements. My favourite bit of the course was imagining my perfect future. I've drawn a (terrible!) picture of how I want it to be and then have broken down the steps I'd need to take to get there in a manageable way. I remembered how for half a year while I was at uni I had a respite from the anxiety and was truly happy. I'd just finished some CBT then, as well, but when I got a few "life whacks" I sort of lost the habit of thinking more postively!

To regain that happiness I'm going to start living the way I did then. I'll take more pride in my appearance, see my friends more often, stop stressing about work (I used to just presume I was capable rather than obsess about it!) and enjoy writing comedy (my dream career) rather than worry it won't go anywhere. I'm going to start going out again, my degree was in film because I love it but I haven't been to the cinema in years!

Little steps to get back to where I was by just living the life I used to I feel very optimistic about it because it all seems so manageable!

Has anyone else made a plan for next year to help you get back on track? Tell us about it here!

Re: New year's resolutions?

Im going to donate money to various charities. Even though we are a low income family, I realise I have enough money to live a comfortable life, enough food to eat, and clothes on my back.

I need to stop smoking. I gave up for 3 monthes recently, but am smoking like a trooper now. This has to stop.

Im determined to stop eating 3 jars of kingsize pickled gherkins a week, as I suspect they are giving me heartburn

Mine, probably would be to try and be strong, in all ways....

Mine is to get through the next year without a relapse ..

Oh I love your post - I am in a position to move on from all this horrid stuff too. I still have some really tough stuff going on in my life so I am sure I will have the odd wobble but I am going to face it!
    My father in law is very sick and I have struggled all year to cope with what is coming - I dont need to spell it out.
    But I know he loves all the effort I put in to look after him best I can and he wouldn't want me to be in such a mess, so I am going to keep looking after him with pride and I have great GP if I struggle!
    Here is to 2011.
    I haven't made a plan but I am determined I am not wasting anymore of my life!!!

Yesterday I started decluttering the house - did it feel good ??? you bet!!!!

My new year resolution is to not spend another year feeling like this.
    One way or another i will not be feeling like this next new year!

No resolutions then no sense of failure or guilt if I don't live up to my own expectations of myself, no pressure.

I don't do resolutions because it seems to always end up with me not achieving the goal and then I feel guilty about it.
    My hope for the New Year is that I can live more in the moment and not worry about things I have little to no control over
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    Lao-Tze

I like that, because I tend to worry about things I have no control over. I'll add that one to my list

to look after myself and my nearest and dearest better
    not to 'sweat the small stuff' haha i wish!
    be more considerate of others and not be so me me me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information