Thread: 1 month into withdrawal

1 month into withdrawal

Just a quick question for anyone who's come off Citalopram. I'm gradually reducing my dose under doctor supervision. I reduced from 40mg to 30mg a month ago now and am still experiencing increased panic and anxiety - does this sound right? I'm not sure why, but I had expected things to have calmed down a bit by now.

Nic

Re: 1 month into withdrawal

Hi nic,
    I have reduced on Cit a couple of times but I used drops so that I could reduce 2mgs at a time, usually every fortnight. I think maybe you have reduced too much at once, did you just drop 10mgs at once. I know sometimes doctors say this is OK but personally reducing that much at once really affected me but 2mgs at a time i hardly noticed until I was down to 6 or 8mgs. maybe you could ask the doc to prescribe some drops or cut a 10mg tab in half to drop 5mgs at a time. Hope this helps and good luck-it can be done xx

hi,

I came off cit a couple of months ago and it took about 7 weeks for all the withdrawl symptoms to go so try not to worry about it. I know it's unpleasant but just know that it's normal.

good luck

Idstain - thanks for letting me know it can take this long! I am on day 19 today of cit withdrawal and it's definitely getting better but still there and driving me nuts! Emotionally I feel ok (apart from I have the odd cry over nothing...but have allowed myself that and no longer feel a loser for crying!!)
    If it takes 7 weeks then it takes 7 weeks.....i guess i just didn;t realise it could take that long!
    Hope you're all feeling much better now....I have been looking at these forums since around day 4 of withdrawal (my dr basically said "you'll be fine coming straight off dear, 10mg is such a low dose") and they have REALLY REALLY helped!

Familymatters - how are you doing?? I remember we had a brief chat a couple weeks ago? How was your CHristmas? Did you manage to relax without worrying about the family TOO much?

hi i came off citalopram 7 weeks ago having been on it for 7 years and i feel ok now, still feel a bit negative but iv been coping ok with it. You will get there in the end after the horrible withdrawal dissapears.

HI Mike!

Thanks for your reply. I am on day 20-something now (lost track!) and am feeling tons better now.....I can't believe that i have made it through to the other side of the dizzy/whooshy/woosy head tunnel! First week back in work too which is brill and all going well (other than people getting on my nerves and gettong annoyed and frustrated and aaagggghhhhhh over nothing!) I don't feel depressed but my lack of patience and anger spells are like PMT! Goodness knows how bad my PMT is gonna be this month after coming off! eeeek!

Good to hear your coping ok....I think a lot of how we approach things and our behavours can affect how much something gets to us (i should practice what i preach)....I am about to go and consult my amazing self-help bible tho so we'll see!

Have you ever tried 5 HTP supplements? Am thinking of trying them as a "natural" alternative? Meant to be the natural anti-depressant???

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Just a quick question for anyone who's come off Citalopram. I'm gradually reducing my dose under doctor supervision. I reduced from 40mg to 30mg a month ago now and am still experiencing increased panic and anxiety - does this sound right? I'm not sure why, but I had expected things to have calmed down a bit by now.

Nic
    Hi there,

How are you getting on now? Would be great to hear how you are?

Thread Information