Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breathing problem?

Breathing problem?

When I get panicky I don't seem to get full blown attacks now just episodes where my breathing shallows, I start gasping bits of air and burping...had a 10 min panic attack then started burping for 5 mins all the air..

Anybody else get this? Also feels gunky at the back of my nose and feel maybe the air will get trapped or something?

Re: Breathing problem?

Hi Phil

Just finished reading your thread on the Flu. Hope your better now.

I get this problem when I am worked up. I feel the clue is the burping. It sounds like you are gulping large quantities of air which is getting trapped.

Try lying down and breathing from your belly not your chest. Lay on hand on your stomach and one on your chest and concentrate on making the stomach hand rise and fall slowly, this should work. did for me.

Take care Matey.

Mee

Does anybody feel a strain when breathing? I've started obsessing about breathing again and get shallow breathing too. Seems to just come on with no cause is it anxiety?

My nose feels blocked up abd congested and feel maybe the air won't get down properly or something?
    Last edited by phil06; 23-01-11 at 22:55.

definitely anxiety, I've had this lots of times and has been one of my main symptons. The more you worry about it the more it will remain with you, I know it's difficult but try not to give it any credibility and it will eventually subside.

I am very obsessed with my breathing!
    I always breath shallow, and when I'm anxious, particularly in public places like my daughters school assembly where I have to sit - confined and quiet and not to draw attention to myself lol! (cant escape) I feel like I can barely breath at all. The more I think about it the worse it gets.
    I'm therefore not so good at the breathing techniques as thinking so much on trying to breath "right" just freaks me out even more, and so continue to "suffocate" so to speak.

Its horrible to feel so bad about something as natural as breathing. Haven't really got any advice unfortunately, but just thought I'd let you know you're not alone, and it is related to anxiety. I do feel for you.

I've had more of this lately...feel my nose is being held by a peg or from going under water swimming.

I've been like coughing and burping alot from like 30 mins of just little short breaths or gasps of panic.

Felt so much gasps I felt my breathing was strained or my chest not getting air...also getting flicking vision and lots of issues with my eyes.

Is this normal for anxiety or is it serious? Will I suddenly collapse or stop breathing? Sometimes Vicks vapour rub will fix this symptom for me to relax a little.

This is definitely anxiety. For the first time since I developed anxiety and panic, I started getting the breathing symptom about 2 weeks ago. I feel like I can't get enough air. Then last week, I developed constant palpitations for the first time in about 2 years! The breathing problem went away, but the palpitations came back! Now, as of the last few days, the palpitations went away and the breathing problem is back!! It's a vicious circle, but whatever way you look at it, it's anxiety. It seems like when I run out of problems to complain about, I develop a new symptom. This breathing thing was my proof!

I can't stop obsessing over my breathing...even when I try and sleep I feel short of breath it's been wasting all day..

It's making me burp alot of air out and my chest gets sore...is this really anxiety?

yes it is i know its awfull

10. Re: Breathing problem?

Phil..I used to be exactly the same..breathing deeply and normally but still feeling like I'm not getting enough air..about to suffocate..what helped me more than anything was sitting in front of a desk fan..bigger the better..on highest setting and spraying my face with cold water...or just splashing it.. it made the air feel so cold I could feel it going into my lungs..it might not work for everyone.. but worth a try..when you're feeling like that ANYTHING is worth a try...I know you can't spend your life in front of a fan..but for me..just knowing I could get a bit of relief now and again made me less anxious and slowly but surely I broke the vicious circle..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information