Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question on Mirtazapine

A question on Mirtazapine

After a number of years on Citalopram, I have just started on Mit.

This is my 4th day on 30mg. I fully expected be sleep a lot and be very drowsy/drunk till it all settled down.

Day one was as expected, slept almost all day, subsequent days slowly getting better. This is great as I am off till the new year from work.
    What I had not expected is that every joint of my body is hurting, like I am in midst of a flu bout.

Has anyone experienced this, or is it flu. I have no other symptoms like runny nose, temperature etc

I am also very slowly comiong off citalopram

Reg
    Ash

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: A question on Mirtazapine

I've read before about Mirt causing joint pain in some people but I wouldn't worry unless it continues relentlessly. I don't recall ever having it when I was on it but I never took 30mg - I was on 15mg. It just made me feel drowsy and "out of it" so I stopped taking it.

Give it some time to settle and if the pain continues, go back to your prescribing doctor for advice.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thanks MM for your swift reply.

The one other issue I am currently struggling since start of Mirts, is terrble Restless legs. I hate it when I am totally dosed up and cant keep my eyes open...but can't sleep coz of RLS

The joys of Anti-depressants !

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Oh I know ... the joys indeed! Sometimes I wonder...

There are also reports of mirt causing RLS, but again, I don't think it's very common and it's probably due to the increased dose. I'm sure it'll subside soon as your body adjusts.

Good luck in the meantime though - I do sympathise. I'm on sertraline and it wasn't pleasant in the beginning...

Never Surrender, Comrade

Dear Ash I have been taking mirtazapine for two years and have not experienced the side effects that you describe. If they do not settle in three weeks or so I suggest that you go back to your GP. I am on 45mg at night. EJ.

Hi Jane,

Did you not experiance any lethargy, drowsiness dring the startup of this medication?

Reg
    Ash

I suffered awful joint pain for the first 6 weeks on mirt. It has settled down now but was awful at the time. My Doctor said it can happen in some people and told me to stick with it. I did and have never looked back. Maybe a chat with your GP will put your mind at rest and always best to check.

Hi ash

I am also on mirt, I was on 15mg for just over 4 wks and have now been on 30mg for just under 3 wks. I have also been achy, especially when I first started taking it and when the dose was increased. I have also been lethargic and drowsy, again at these times. But these side effects have gradually eased off and it has had a positive affect on my mood so ive stuck with it.

Like the others have said if youre worried go back to your gp but for me the positives far outweigh the negatives, hopefully they will for you too x

Quote Originally Posted by ash1807 View Post
    Hi Jane,

Did you not experiance any lethargy, drowsiness dring the startup of this medication?

Reg
    Ash
    I experienced drowsiness continuing in the daytime for the first few weeks of being on the mirt. This did not occur the second time I was put on it. This drowsiness and spaced out feeling does not last however.It should go within two to three weeks. I hope that the mirt works out for you. It has been very good for me in alleviating my depression. I am currently stable. EJ

Thank you all for your replies and certainly eases my worry about this med.
    I will just hang on till it all settles down

btw, anybody suffer from blinding headaches whilst in the startr up time? I am having an usually sever ones that last the whole day

xxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information