Thread: white coat syndrome

white coat syndrome

Hi Folks,

I hope everyone is well and got through christmas ok..... i know in the UK you guys have been freezing cold etc and i hope your all ok!

Went to the doctor before for Laryngitis etc, run down and all that jazz......

Got my blood pressure checked when i was there on those fancy machines and it was 150/100.......... checked it again and it was the same.... by this time id gotten a rush of Anxiety and i was like OH NO!!!!!!!!

So they sent me into the nurses room and ond over 15 minutes i gave back 3 normal readings!!!! This was the old method of taking blood pressure etc..... i think ill get them to do it that way from now on.... 135 over 75 it was..... how weird!

Pheewwww thank the lord but im still now a little worried about it!!!!!

For anyone that likes warm weather.... here in Adelaide its going to be 43 new years eve!!!!!

Re: white coat syndrome

I don't even get as far as the doctor's surgery without going into a tailspin.

I recently had an appointment at the hospital for a scan and I threw a complete wobbler and could not put the gown on prior to the exam - I ended up not having the scan because I was just so worked up, verging on hysterical.

I do realise that for a grown woman to behave in such a way would be viewed by people as downright silly and ridiculour but I have an abject fear of doctors and hospitals which was created when, at 6 years old, I was rushed directly into theatre for an emergency op. and that experience remains with me, crystal clear and very frightening, to this day (and I am 50).

White coat syndrome is no joke and I sympathise with you - hey at least you got normal readings and if you are really really worried you could always buy a decent home bp machine and keep readings done in the comfort of your own home as a record of how normal it is!

Take care

Thanks for your reply.... i can understand how you must feel..... hang in there!!! Nah ill pass on the blood pressure machine.... id be checking it waaaayyyyy to much lol

My blood pressure is always high at the doctors, and when i joined the gym i had to get permission from the doctor as they take your bp when you request to join and mine was too high to be allowed to use the gym!

i have got a home monitor and i always get normal readings as home so it's just the stress of having someone else taking it. I had to get a home one as the doctor always said my reading was too high and made me more worried...

Ha I know what you mean. Mine always comes out high when measured in a medical situation.

I lived with a med student last year, and he measured mine at home a couple of times, it came out normal.

I'm slightly envious of the 43 degrees, I'm getting sick of looking at snow!

Snow has all melted here now - everything is soggy now though :-(

Thread Information