Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ALS Terror

Re: ALS Terror

silent migraines are a definate possibility too x

**** He who fears something gives it power over him.- Moorish proverb ****

**** You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind. - Dale Carnegie ****

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, I'm definitely going to suggest migraines next time I see the doctor. I have frequent headaches (a few times each day) so it could just be a standard migraine. Migraines can be caused or worsened by anxiety too so it could be that I suffer from both.

I did have CBT back in uni for about a month, unfortunately my therapist had other commitments off of campus though so sessions weren't that regular and I started getting worse because of that. I'm starting therapy again on the 17th back home.

I was actually given propranalol by one of the many doctors I saw - it did make me feel better for a while, but stupidly I woke up feeling anxious the next day, decided "it's not working" and stopped taking it! I should have realised that no medication is a long-term cure and you have to stick with these things. I might try it again.

I'm gradually starting to believe that this is all caused by anxiety, but unfortunately the ALS fear is always there, even though I know how unlikely it is that I have it - I have a better chance of winning the lottery about five times! I think it's how constant so many of my symptoms are that worries me - and is it really normal to have this practically-constant buzzing/crawling thing in just one hand?! I guess it won't stop for good until I calm down properly?

Thanks for any help x

I know this thread hasn't been added to in a couple of days, but thought I would update. The throbbing/crawling in my hands has reduced a little - it's the swallowing/globus feelings that are worrying me worst now! I'm scared I'll wake up one day and be unable to speak or eat properly

On the bright side, I actually have the opportunity to speak to a family friend with MND soon, so hopefully that will be reassuring... or scare me to death!

Classic anxiety, I think you'll be perfectly fine

With all those doc visits I think you're the healthiest person on the forums. The doctors would have looked for other symptoms when you visited then and hence why they've ruled out 'proper nasties'.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
    Hi

If you have scoured the forum you will know that all your symptoms are that of anxiety but equally as you point out they could be related to other diseases, a doctor would be able to reassure you...but wait you have seen a doctor –in fact you have seen several and they all say anxiety. Unfortunately you have what most of us have an overactive mind although several doctors have diagnosed you you still believe Dr Google or nurse irrational thinking.

You see the problem with us is that we don’t believe doctors so we demand tests, the tests come back fine then its ‘what if they missed something’ would they have checked for x, y and z. The tests were last month could I have caught a, b and c since – its a never ending spiral.

Has one of the docs not recommended some sort of therapy, sounds to me this would help if only to get your head back on track.
    what a fantastic message..can I print this out and stick it on my wall? lol..I need to seriously listen to this logic

This sounds like nearly everyone of us neurological disease worriers as soon as you read about something you are absolutely convinced you have it, i had never ever heard of als before i started googling and within 1 day convinced i had either that or ms, hopefully i dont have either. I was in such a panic i couldnt eat sleep and drove my family mad for constant reassurance. Im not gonna tell you not to worry but what i can say is never ever google because it makes you 100000 times worse. x

It's been a while since I've posted anything - I didn't realise this thread was actually still active! But anyway, since my last post I've had a very thorough neurological exam by my GP - balance, strength, reflexes, etc - and nothing was abnormal. I'm assuming that if there was anything neurologically wrong then some sort of abnormality would have been spotted somewhere?

I still have the fear there (something I'm working on), but so far the odds are in my favour

Hello Crazyhayz,

I am struggling with fear of ALS. Fingers are twitching especially when I focus on:(( But your post made me feel some better and I would like to thank.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhayz View Post
    My gosh u sound JUST like me a couple of months back! Its true if u think u have something, u create symptoms! the mind is very very powerful! I had all those symptoms and more, literally every single one. I was absolutely convinced. I actually spoke to a few people nline who are actually living with MND/ALS, and within a short while I realised I really did NOT have it. The one thing about MND/ALS that PROVES you DO NOT have it, is ONCE THER SYMPTOMS ARE THERE, THEY DO NOT GO. ONCE U HAVE A WEAK HAND, OR ARM, THATS IT. THAT WEAKNESS NEVER GOES. AND U CANNOT PHYSICALLY USE IT. weakness occurs once the muscle wastes away, and u would of noticed that by now, a long time ago, and other people would have to.

At 18, u DO NOT have to worry one bit about having MND. Seriously hun. The symptoms DO NOT COME AND GO. I learnt that from people who are actually suffering from it! Once u get difficulty swallowing, thats it. its there. and it NEVER GOES. U wouldnt just have it one minute then be ok the next!! So u need to accept u DONT have it hun... A doctor said to me that if I had MND, I wouldnt be sat there asking him. He'd be sat there telling me!!! So that kinda made me realise.

And my symptoms were absolutley debilitating, trust me, just look at my past posts hun. I was in total fear of it, i still fear it in a way, even tho i know i havent got it.

U are suffering with classical LONG TERM ANXIETY SYMPTOMS. Long term anxiety and stress makes ur body sooo on-edge and basically ur bloodstream/nerve endings are constantly on a 'high' so to speak, due to constantly high adrenalin levels. (caused by anxiety!!). Its crazy how much anxiety symptoms mimic those of MS/MND, i know exactly how u are feling hun, i really do.

Deffo ask for some meds which are good for reducing adrenalin levels (bet u will see a big difference! i did) and its called Propanalol. Its a good med for adrenalin and loadsa sprts star or film actors take it to calm their nerves before doing things, so its not anything scary!! I take one or two every time I feel a bit strange, and they work wonders for me.

Have u had CBT for ur anxiety??? its really good. U should ask ur doctor for an immediate referral for CBT via ur local Mental Health Team. Theyl help u alot.

But seriously hun, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT MND. U do not have it. I would lay my life on it and all the money i have. Just trust me. These sorts of serious neurological diseases dont just come and go babe, u would KNOW if u had this. Other people would have noticed!!

I suggest looking into the above, and if ur still suffering, then ask to be refrred to a Neurologist just to put ur mind at rest. My doctor did but all doctors are different, they probly wont as they sound like they know its just anxiety!

Take care and just start to tell urself u are NOT ill, this is all in the mind and get as much help as possible to get better x

good luck love x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information