Thread: A little something about Meditation

A little something about Meditation

So it is New Year's Eve. And it has been a crazy month. Things are calming, and I'm coping. But if there is anyone who isn't feeling well today, tonight, whenever. I wanted to share something about how I think we get better. It came to me a few days ago, and I probably picked it up from somewhere else, so I claim no originality. Just wanted to share really.

Imagine that you have a garden, and at the end of that garden is a rose, and this rose has a name and that name is 'no thought'. A strange name for a flower, but stay with me. Meditation, is the process by which you try and find a calm space inside,so that you can have some distance from your thoughts and emotions. Anyone who has tried it will know that it is tough. I have been meditating a few months now, and if I get to more than about 10 seconds of absolutely no thoughts at all, then I have done very well. Now back to the Garden.

Imagine, that your job is to go back and forth to that flower each day and try and keep it alive by watering it.However the only thing that you have to water the rose is a watering can with holes in the side. So by the time that you get from the tap to the flower, you only have a few seconds of precious water to give it. Or in meditation terms, you only manage a few seconds of not actually thinking. However those few moments are just enough to keep the flower alive until the next day, and then you do the same. You go back the next day too. You just keep going.

Then after a few weeks, you walk to the flower, realise it is still very much alive, and then you turn round and look at the rest of the garden, it is blooming, you have accidentally watered it by simply trying. That has been my experience, and I think it is how we get better too.

If anyone has any interest in meditation and would like to chat feel free.

Re: A little something about Meditation

Hi GoldenAnorak,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty enthusiastic when it comes to meditation although I don't see it being about not thinking, more about having an increased awareness of the present moment.

A few seconds of 'no thoughts' doesn't sounds quite a spartan reward for what sounds like a lot of dedicated effort. Have you tried experimenting with techniques such as breath meditation to help manage thoughts?

Chris

"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf" - Jon Kabat-Zinn
    “You lose your grip and then you slip, Into the masterpiece.” - Leonard Cohen

Re: A little something about Meditation

Goldenanorak, That sounds really good. Thankyou for posting it. Take care x
    Last edited by gaaron; 31-12-10 at 18:58. Reason: add name

Thread Information