Thread: Perceptions

Perceptions

Hi everybody and all the very best for 2011.

I have been on a date today, an achievement in itself as when we first met I was having really bad panic attacks and could barely talk I was so breathless!! Anyway, she was telling me how she did sponsored runs etc for cancer and I was thinking what a wonderful person she was. Over dinner she happened to mention how her son had left his girlfriend of two years so I asked why. She said "she was weird, what do they call it bi-polar, always up and down and I don't know why he had put up with it for so long". I just felt like screaming at her that she was ill you idiot, just like someone with a disease you can see under a microscope only people with mental conditions don't have that luxury and would you have felt the same had she had a physical illness. Anyway, I didn't, and I let the evening pass but now I don't really know what to think anymore. Am I wrong, I hear about people with mental illnesses taking their own lives but little about people with other illnesses doing the same. Why is that? A friend has told me today he has Diabetes and I was there and a friend for him. After what I heard today though I was wondering what response I would get if I told him I was having panic attacks that were severely affecting my ability to have a normal life. Probably the same as the last person I told, my ex partner and mother of my daughter, "pull yourself together, focus and get over it". I may be ranting here but not sure whether I should see the lady again. It is all going to come out and I feel she has laid her cards on the table. After the experience with my ex, who gave me no support, it may be a complete waste of time. What do you think?

Re: Perceptions

Hi
    I know my reply is a bit late but I have only just read this post.
    How are you and how are things now?
    I totally agree with what you wrote. I really do think people can only truly understand what mental health problems are, if they have had or have them, themselves. However they could still try and 'understand' to an extent.
    A lot of people don't seem to want to have any understanding.
    If only it were that simple to be able to 'pull ourselves together'!
    I would not want to be with a person who is of the pull yourself together attitude.
    Personally I would have to tell this person you went on a date with - if it were me in that situation - that I have anxiety and all the rest - but then again that may be too soon, and it may put her off, however I would say so eventually. If she likes you, then she will like you as you are, and if not then would you really want to be with a person who is not caring?
    Sorry if this reply does not make much sense, but I am nearly asleep.
    All the best for 2011 too!

Thread Information