Thread: More lung fears

More lung fears

I am 40, male, non-smoker and swim laps a few times week for exercise. I have had HA for many years. So I have been having lung cancer fears. I just can't shake the fear despite some lovely members of this board trying to help me out of this. I have been having upper back pain, especially near or under the left shoulder blade and pain in my fingers and toes. Now I am fearing that I am having shortness of breath and blue finger nails. I went for a swim last night and didn't really but maybe did feel short of breath. I can't tell if my fingers look blue. Does anyone know any self tests or anything like that to tell if I am having lung problems? Anyway, I am feeling scared and my having chest pains and maybe causing myself to hyperventilate. Please help me find the end of this hellish journey.

Re: More lung fears

Hello.

Can I ask if you are getting any kind of therapy for your HA?

All anyone here can do is to give you reassurance but I think you need more than that to begin to halt your hellish journey..it doesn't seem to be helping you very much.

The Dr can tell by listening to your chest ,whether you have lung /breathing problems .Why dont you make an appointment for a check up ..? You would certainly know if you had serious breathing problems .Swimming if you are not very fit will leave you a bit breathless ,but it should return to normal Tension can cause back pain .Anxiety can cause breathing probs because you do not breathe correctly .So I would get checked out to put your mind at ease .Then discuss your H/A at the same time hun ..Take care im sure you will be ok ..luv Sue x

Hey J2,

My turn to reply to your post!

You say 'I am fearing that I am having shortness of breath and blue finger nails' and you are 'maybe causing myself to hyperventilate'.

I have stuff like that all the time - I worry that my vision has gone funny, or that I can't feel my hand properly. I have to try to tell myself that if I'm not sure, I shouldn't worry about it. Doesn't always work, but worth a try.

I agree with ladybird64, sounds like you could do with some tools to help you. I went on an 'overcome your fear of flying course' many years ago, and part of that was how to recognise and control anxiety. That's probably one of the most important things I learned. I still get anxious, but I never hyperventilate, I know how to stop it (thank goodness - once was enough). And, as an aside, I'm no longer afraid of flying, which is good, because HA is enough for me .

Your not alone in this. I get it too. Today and yesterday actuay. Just got over flu and what I think is acute bronchitis as vie had that edits but didn't go to the doctors this time and just rested. Now I'm better and back at work for the new year but I have the sane uncomfortable chest/lung and slight pain in back but I have just had a bad cough for a few weeks. I can def feel myself making it worse and it's hard to fight it and distract myself with something else. I'm hoping it passes soon and I can stop worrying about things. Got a lot going on so my anxiety is a slight issue but luckily keeping it under control. I think..

Let us know how you get on and I hope things get better for you

I'd say why not have a chest CT scan to reassure yourself......... but that's what I did and it didn't work!! Health anxiety is a horrible curse!
    I'm sure you don't have lung cancer. It's very rare in non-smokers...... your doctor isn't worried, nor should you be!x

Thread Information