Thread: Fear of vomiting & how to stop negative thinking ?

Fear of vomiting & how to stop negative thinking ?

i suffer anxiety disorder and am emetophobic (fear of oneself vomiting) anyway this is what am struggling with my fear of vomiting and negative thinking !!
    am constley worry about bein sick i even stopped eating for about 3-4 months :-( i have been eating again now for just over 3-4 weeks =) but mainly just little things safe foods ect bread, biscuits,,,, bland foods
    anyway am still worrying 24/7 i can even just go a day with 1-2 pieces of toast and my negative thinking kicks off thinking "" oh i have eaten to much i am going to feel sick or be sick"" so this is restricting my life and my eating alot like it did for me not eating those few months i no i could even stop eating again but i really want to eat as i no we have to eat to live but i just want this negative thinking to stop!! am waitong for my appointment for a counsellor and CBT but i feel am waiting forever... how can i stop it in the mean time i am reading a book about NLP but i have only just started reading it...
    I just want to live a normal life and eat normal again without worrying 24/7

like today i have eaten -

6am - 1 slice of toast with 2 digestive biscuits

10.30am - 2 slices of toast with 1 digestive biscuit, 2 milk tray chocolate pieces

1pm half a packet of chocolate balls (just smal pk)

4.15pm - a ham & mayo sandwich, a small slice of victoria sponge cake

and after everone of these i have negative thoughts about i have eaten to much even when i had the first slice of toast there all like 2-3 hours apart but i should be eating more ie a meal but i panic to much i wont eat no more now untill tomorrow breakfast and it makes me angry and i get very fustrated with myself for not just ignoring the negative thinking and eating what i want when i want..

my doctor and my boyfriend, family, friends etc... have all explained that we can eat what and when we want in modaration untill are stomachs are comfortable and we wont be sick UNLESS we had toxins etc... in are stomach but i still manage to negative think and i let it take over even if i am hungry or starving even........... somedays i just have one slice of toast and i will think i have eaten to much and will be sick or feel sick then i could have a good day and eat alot and not have many negative thought sbut these are really ruining my live am 28 and just dont have a life because of this....
    My children even eat more than me and are NEVER sick i have watched my friends etc... pig out on aload of crap chocs junk food and never be sick so why am i worry 24/7 ..............
    i have had this phobia all my life but it has never bothered me the way it is now as i used to eat n eat all day n night and was never sick (i do keep teling myself this but still cant overcome the negative thinking) but my anxiety just got out of hand went really bad i lost all appetite and stopped eating then my phobia kicked off =(
    also am finding everytime i do eat i end up with either belly ache or badly bloating =(

any help or advice would be brilliant x

Re: Fear of vomiting & how to stop negative thinking ?

HI, i can totally understand where you are coming from because at the moment i am going through the same problems. It does not help when everyone i know is ill or got a stomach bug. At the moment i am having a very bad time. This is only my second post so i hope it is helpful.

I suffer with anxiety and fear of being sick, amongst many other phobias. I do not eat much due to this, i have lots of noises and movement in my stomach and bowls, i get bloated a lot and burp a lot. Also worse than anything else, i feel i want to burp most of the time but i cant get the burp up if that makes sense. Due to this, it feels like something else is coming up and not air, which then makes me worry more.
    Eating is not an enjoyable time for me like it should be. All i worry about from when i wake up to when i go to sleep, is am i going to be sick, or what if i am ill, or what i am going to eat today. I just want it all to end, i just think why me, will i ever be free of this mental torture :(

Sorry if what i have said has not helped so far and sounded more like a moan. I wish i could tell you something which would solve this completely, but as of yet i still suffer like you do. All i can say is on my good days i am normally in a better mood and doing things i enjoy. Maybe that does help as a distraction.
    Also there are some other techniques i use which you may like to try. With negative thoughts i use what i call a crisis card, which i made.

1st, on the card in capitals is 'STOP', which i repeat a few times, or spell it out, or picture it in capitals in my head. The whole point is to break the train of thought and distract yourself.

2nd, on the card is 'Be Realistic', for example i mite think, ok, being realistic, i have felt this feeling for the last year when i eat but as of yet i have not been sick, or being realistic, there is no reason for me to believe i will be sick from eating food, which my body needs and wants.

3rd, on the card is 'what evidence is there', this is basically used to reinforce the 2nd part. For example, i have no evidence to confirm i will be sick or that i am ill because i am not a doctor or medically trained. But i have lots of evidence that this is all due to me suffering from anxiety and worrying a lot.

I also have been taught self hypnosis, which i find gives me a time out and helps me to feel refreshed. Also i go for a top up with the hypnosis on a regular basis. luckily i love near a self help centre in which all the staff are volunteers. So the hypnosis and other therapies they offer are donation based. One thing that i will say is, i think it does help greatly to do daily relaxation and i mean proper relaxation, not just watching tv or listening to music.

There are a few other therapies i do also, but i didn't want this message to get any bigger but if you do want to know about them i would be glad to tell you. I saw you mention in your post about NLP, i have read many books on it and i saw a very good Nlp trainer who i thought was very good. So if you want any info on NLP maybe i could help.

I hope you feel better soon and if you ever want a chat or ask me any questions, please feel free to send me a message.

this is so what i am like am basically thinking SICK 24/7 every waking hour of my life....
    i just want it to be all back to normal like i used to be without worrying 24/7 am listening to my stomach for every noise, movement, pain etc....
    i am reading an nlp book and would love to no more i will inbox you so am not going on n on here lol

take care x

Good morning, just to let you know i got your email but it won't let me send you one back. When i try it says 'that user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails'. your going to have to change that option in your settings first before i can reply.

i have emailed u my email address x

Thread Information