Thread: anxiety because i am taking meds

anxiety because i am taking meds

ok , now life seems to be coming normal, relationship problems solved, etc. still I am getting anxious to the fact that i am taking meds (cipralex 10mg) i fear that i wont be able to stop taking them , that something will happen to me when i stop, like doing sometin stupid etc...my doc told me to take them for 6 months, i ve been on them since september, so it s about time. i don t know what to think, a part of me is saying i can stop them, and another part ( the anxious one) is telling me that i cant cope without them....

david

Re: anxiety because i am taking meds

I don't think the six months is graven in stone David.

Talk with your GP and remember, you can always take them again if you need them. Have you had any other help: CBT, counselling?

no, just meds. i m cosidering councelling though. and thanks

Hi David
    I know some people are afraid about taking meds and consequences of stopping them - I've never been one of those as I feel, if they help you and you feel better on them, then that is better than suffering the awful anxiety/panic symptoms which will most probably spiral out of control with some people.
    Over the years, I've tried several drugs for my anxiety and have had no problem coming off them as long as you do it with the guidance from your doctor. Cipralex is a SSRI and you are not on a huge dose so should have no problems - you just need to reduce, reduce and reduce.
    I'm having a bit of a blip at present and have just gone back on propranalol which is a beta blocker and slows my heart rate. I have been on it before and I find it really take the edge off and calms m so I have function better. Its a case of being well informed, knowing what suits you and when you need it.
    Hope this helps.
    Judi

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! (peanuts)

Yes it helped, thanks, also read your other thread about dr claire weekes books, thanks for the info

Thread Information