Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fear of Toilets

Re: Fear of Toilets

I forgot to mention that an old lady my mother knew when I was a young child, used to have a normal low level toilet and she insisted on keeping the lid off the cistern, that completely freaked me out too and I always had mum with me as I would refuse to go otherwise. I don't think that helped me with my fear of high level cistern toilets either!

I too am terrified of high cistern toilets. My Mum tells me that when I was a little girl (about 2 or 3) we had a high cistern toilet.I can still remember it actually lol. My Mum said I would wee on the landing in the night as I was too scared to go to the toilet.

If I see one my heart beats like crazy and I cannot go near it.

I am so suprised to see others have the same phobia as me. Everyone else laughs at me.

Quote Originally Posted by jfc View Post
    I have an embarrassing fear. One that I am able to cope with in small steps.

Ever since being a child I have a fear of toilets, particularly the black seated ones with high cisterns and a chain dangling down.

I am ok with toilets I 'get to know' so my home toilets, my mums toilet and my work toilets are all ok but any other toilet before I open the door I feel fear building up inside me as it swings open to reveal the monster with a gaping mouth! Its really silly but its genuine.

I dont even know if there is a name for this sort of fear.

One thing makes it worse, I have IBS and have the need to use the toilet many times a day..so I have to make sure there is a 'friendly' toilet on my route

Ive just noticed the toilet phobia thread on this page, but on reading it its not the same phobia...mine is less to do with needing to use one but actual fear of the toilet itself. My mum used to have to sit on the back of the toilet seat so I couldnt see the 'eyes' on the lid, while I perched on the edge.
    You are not alone, please see my thread 'chain pull toilets'

You get a build up of fear when you see the toilet and it didn't help that the film 'carry on screaming' showed a man being shoved down the toilet. Thankfully they are being phased out but their are still some about. It's not silly, my aunt has a horrible one in the downstairs toilet and I never ever use it.

I know this is an old thread but I have just found it. I too am scared of the high cistern toilets and black seated ones especially. All toilets scare me unless I 'get to know them' like was said. I've recently discovered that most of my fears (like emetophobia and OCD) all centre around the fear of toilets! I too have nightmares about them!

Please add me to the list of "petrified of victorian style toilets with very high cisterns and chains to flush". There was one in my grandparents house & i always thought it was going to fall off the wall when i flushed it. I also hate self flushing toilets too. My other toilet paranoia is that they'll overflow.
    What is it with this toilet thing??? I have "toilet dreams" as well - I'll be searching for a toilet because i need a wee but i cant find one anywhere. Sometimes (in my dream of course) i end up going in some very odd places. naturally i get paranoid i'll actually go in my sleep or that i'll wake up & it'll really be happening.

My toilet dreams are usually that I get stuck in the room. So not in the cubicle but in the room with all the cubicles. I also have at least 4 different toilets (again as in the rooms with all the cubicles not the actual toilet itself) that I frequently visit in my dreams. They petrify me. I just can't think of a reason why they would. I have OCD fear of contamination so it might have something to do with that. I'm just not sure if the fear of contamination comes from the fear of toilets or if it is the other way round!

Please add me to the list of "petrified of victorian style toilets with very high cisterns and chains to flush". There was one in my grandparents house & i always thought it was going to fall off the wall when i flushed it.
    I have exactly the same problem in my granddad's house! Big high up cistern that sounds like Niagra falls when you flush it and I'm sure one day the whole thing will explode off the wall.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

I hate them aswell! The old style ones they scare the crap out of me. Even thinking about one makes me shiver. Eergh. Lol.

However if u think thats silly, i have a fear of dementia. It all began when i couldnt remember something. How ridiculous?! However its taking over my life because im convinced im going to forget people/places etc. i hate it

That's not a silly fear at all Charlee A lot of people have similar fears because the deep down root cause is fearing you will lose control, and this is often behind fears of dying, insanity and incapacitating illness. I can't a fear of losing control to toilets though unless you've got the runs XD

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

^^^^ lol, thats very true! Thanks for that. You made me smile

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information