Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: self help books.....

Re: self help books.....

thank you free spirit xxxxxx

i've read many, but Ive found the anxiety and panic workbook really good.....got mine from Amazon.

I've just bought The Anxiety and Phobia workbook from Amazon. Just started it but it seems to be good.

And Paula Lynne you have just reminded me that I have the Susan Jeffers book - Feel the fear - and do it - so I just have to start reading it too

Thanks for this thread. I just bought Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway from Amazon

Also I second the recommendation for "Self-Help For Your Nerves" - typical no-nonsense Claire Weekes stuff, despite its rather frightening mentions of shock treatment. The "valium for housewives" thing is a product of its time and today it would apply to anyone who is constantly stuck at home.

Also I recently bought "Essential Help For Your Nerves" by Claire Weekes which is an anthology of two self-help books, and I recommend "Pass Through Panic" for its unbelievably helpful mp3s.

"Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway" might be beyond those who are only just beginning their recovery. It's aimed mainly at people who are held back in everyday life through fear. It contains a number of significant insights into fear and uses key words such as "pain" and "paralysis" which accurately describe the basic state an anxious or depressed person finds themselves in. On the other hand this book is all about getting out there and doing the things that frighten you; I'm not sure this would always be helpful to those who are stuck at rock bottom but it would help those who are recovering.

Finally, the new book "If Life Gives You Lemons: 10 seconds to happiness" is aimed more at depressed and generally unhappy people, but is packed with inspirational thoughts, quotes and ideas.
    Last edited by NoPoet; 14-04-11 at 14:23.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

it would be greatly appreciated Im reading 'overcoming social anxiety and shyness' by Gillian Butler. Finding it quite helpfull so far.

Instant Confidance - Paul Mckenna is good...Nifty mind programming CD comes with it too.

Hi Calm, the best book I've ever read about anxiety etc, is called 'THE ANXIETY TRAP', by Terri Conley. I'm not sure if you can still get it-but I've found it invaluable. the ISBN no. is- 0-952-7350-0-8.

Quote Originally Posted by missy007 View Post
    I've just bought The Anxiety and Phobia workbook from Amazon. Just started it but it seems to be good.

And Paula Lynne you have just reminded me that I have the Susan Jeffers book - Feel the fear - and do it - so I just have to start reading it too
    I have both of those books, the Anxiety and Phobia work book is really good, helped me to see that what I was feeling was normal for Anxiety sufferers.

I found overcoming panic good for panic attacks when i had them years ago it helped me to get through them

I suppose for people who are new to anxiety and feel as if there is no way out, Self-help for your nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes is a very good start.
    I remember that I bought some other ones too, but never got to read them.
    Back then Claire Weekes and a CD I got from No Panic played a big part in my recovery. As I am currently back with anxiety, I will start there again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information