Thread: Withdrawal or Relapse

Withdrawal or Relapse

I mentioned in another thread that I'm coming off Cipralex because my husband and I want to start trying for a baby. I came off fairly slowly, and it's been about 2.5 weeks since my last dose (which was on Dec 23, 2010).

I've been dealing with the withdrawal symptoms, but now I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is still the withdrawal or if I'm relapsing back into depression/anxiety. I really felt like I was getting past it all, but the past week's been really rough. Does it make sense for it to get worse? I start most days feeling down. I sometimes manage to pull out of it by about mid-day, and then most days feel down again in the evenings.

I'm now becoming worried that I'm slipping back into depression, but I'm just not sure since I know that the withdrawal can last about a month. But I feel like I've moved backwards in getting past it this week. Is there a way to know? Is it normal that I'd start having good days and feeling like I'm almost past it and then start going back to having more bad days again?

If I could just know either way.. if it's just the withdrawal, I don't mind trying to stick it out for another couple weeks. But if I'm relapsing, then I just feel like I'm suffering needlessly; my doctor has told me that I can be on the medication during pregnancy if needed. I'd just prefer not if I can handle it.

Re: Withdrawal or Relapse

i can totally sympathise chick, i had that dilema when i wanted a third child. my decision was made when the doctor said that i needed to weigh up whether me going through all the anxiety/pa's with all the side effects during my pregnancy was going to be beneficial after the babys born, i just couldnt bare going through what i went through before cipralex again!! so i continued the meds that was four years ago, had a happy pregnancy, birth and now a very happy/healthy 3yr old girl . but ultimately thats your decision chick x pregnancy is so tiring on the body as it isand i wanted to enjoy my last pregnancy x hope that helps x

Thanks for answering! My husband and I are talking about what we should do, and I've made a doctor's appt to talk it over with her some more.

Did you breastfeed while on Cipralex? I've seen conflicting reports as to whether it's safe or not, but none from "experience" really - just whether you should or shouldn't in theory.

i tried to breast feed and successfully did so for 4 days, but it became extremely painful nothing to do with the meds though chick x i was never put off breast feeding by my doctor or midwife but i would suggest you still have that chat if only just to put your mind at ease.try not to google anything as sometimes it can frighten the life out of you, there will always be conflicting msgs about anything !! and i know thats harder said than done, just follow the advice of your gp/midwife x i hope ive helped x

Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to talk to my doctor about it, but it's great to hear from someone who's been through it.

I've finally been to the doctor and she recommended I go back on the cipralex, as what I've been going through is not withdrawal. So I'm back on it, starting with 5mg/day for a few days then back up to 10mg/day.

I just wanted to post this follow up to anyone who may come across this thread in the future; when I was trying to find information, I'd find so many questions without any follow up as to what happened, so I want to make sure I don't do that!

If you happened to find this post from googling, don't be discouraged just because it didn't work for me; if you're ready, you should still try coming off if you want to! I just did it too early and at the wrong time of year (January's a down month for everyone).

Thanks again everyone for all your replies and support!

Thread Information