Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Skeptical about anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds

Skeptical about anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds

I do understand that people find the symptoms of depression and anxiety dreadful, intolerable and at times, desperate BUT all the more willingness to brave them and increase our resilience towards life as a whole. What I find, in fact, dangerous about anti-depressants or anxiety medications, not only because they encourage dependency, but that they tackle these emotions as medical illnesses. While in fact, fear should be embraced because they discern us from robots and humans, from psychopaths and empathetic people, from insanity and sanity as our true strength is summoned by fear.

Anyone cares to add their own word ?

Re: Skeptical about anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds

I mean, do we have to find comfort in placing our consciousness on a wheelchair of drugs ?

Well, I've resisted meds for years, culminating in a bad crash in December.

Now, they give me a chance to turn myself around. A chance to deal with the underlying issues.

I'd like to be free of meds within a year, with some additional help.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    I do understand that people find the symptoms of depression and anxiety dreadful, intolerable and at times, desperate BUT all the more willingness to brave them and increase our resilience towards life as a whole. What I find, in fact, dangerous about anti-depressants or anxiety medications, not only because they encourage dependency, but that they tackle these emotions as medical illnesses. While in fact, fear should be embraced because they discern us from robots and humans, from psychopaths and empathetic people, from insanity and sanity as our true strength is summoned by fear.

Anyone cares to add their own word ?
    Hi Chris.

This is in reply to both this post and your following one re the "wheelchair" of drugs.

This is a very divisive subject with many strong opinions. What I personally think however is that the biggest mistake that can be made is to assume that we know what is the right treatment for others and to lump all those that have to take medication into one category.

Those that are dependent on medications.

This is a falsehood, many take medication for a short while and there is no physical risk of dependence albeit a slight psychological need which can be easily dealt with.

You seem to be of the impression that they remove all fear and make us think we are mentally ill..assumptions again I'm afraid.

I can only speak for myself but I do not fit into your categorisation. I have/had raised anxiety, agoraphobia and panic attacks for more than 25 years..in this time I did not ask for any medication. I didn't want it and did not feel that I was mentally ill although I knew that something was very wrong.

I did not realise what the problems were until an internet search brought me to this forum in 2008..I then realised just what was wrong and that it could be tackled.

After an extremely stressful situation reached breaking point at the beginning of last year, I reached breaking point too. I was severely depressed to the point that I was actively, rationally and quietly planning my own death and I do not have a single doubt that I would have gone ahead with my plan.

In a single moment of clarity I managed to go to the GP, something I had resisted for years and I was put on Citalopram. It worked almost immediately with no side effects and gave me back my rationality and therefore a reason to live.

I was on them for 6 months and decided to stop them outright which was quite a shock to the system but it is done and I am over it.

I do understand what you are saying and I do agree with certain points you make, that medication can be seen by some as a cure all.

However, the sentiments of embracing the fear are all well and good but when someone is so far down the route of depression that every day is terrifying, maybe someone who has no outside support..how do you think they can embrace the one thing that scares them so much?

Some people need breathing space, time for them to figure out a plan of action and medication often gives them just that.

Whether you agree or not, there are other who need to take medication for longer and sometimes permanently..this does not make them emotional cripples.

I must admit I do get annoyed when people say they understand "but" and then make generalisations such as your "comfort in a wheelchair of drugs."

I fought my fears for longer than some of the people on this forum have been on this earth! Should I feel bad because I had to take a 6 month course of a medication that gave me back the power to think rationally?

Of course not. Neither should anybody else.

I totally agree ladybird

You put it so well Ladybird.

Jo.xx

Chris, without going on too long, basically you are completely wrong

So, when you break your leg, you will refuse painkillers, cast and crutches and will continue to walk on the broken leg, bearing the pain as the leg never gets better and heals, or heals naturally and leaves you with a limp for life ?

I think medication has its place and purpose but if you rely on it soley to overcome panic/anxiety then you are putting far too much emphasis on its use and could end up very disappointed.

Medication alongside talking therapies such as CBT would suit most people.

I do feel that many people on here (myself included 13 years ago) were given medication by their doctor and told to go away, keep taking the pills and we would be fine. Well it isn't that easy!

It really needs to be short term whilst waiting for and then alongside CBT (for example) to get the most benefit.

I have read endless posts over the years on here of people becoming "immune" to the medication, so it is upped and upped in dose and then they are either told to change to a different one or come off it.

Coming off most anti-depressants can be hard work and then the person hits rock bottom again as there were no fail-safe procedures put in place to cushion the fall.

My thoughts anyway.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

chris

you have a right to your own view, but i dought you have never felt the full affects of a panic attack, or agro, or depression because u cant see it, many people dismiss it. YOU are wrong and i agree with mike if you break your leg ect. i can see your post will upset alot of people on here, a lot of us take them short term to get us on our way but others may not, but who cares if they are living life to full and happy. next time you have a massive head ache or in pain, DONT REACH FOR THE PAIN KILLERS........ SUFFER IT.

diaizpam 5mg, as needed.

come on panic attack do your worse,, you can knock me down,, BUT I WILL GET BACK UP AGAIN.

Well said, Nicola. I totally agree with every word you're saying.

The problem with medication is that it tends to take the edge off the mood disorder, whilst at the same time it doesn't cure it. It makes everything somewhat manageable, and might be a good way to bridge a particularly bad phase, granted, but in the long term I've witnessed it having devastating effects on people, time and time again, dominating their lives by keeping them in limbo, often adding an addiction with all related problems this entails to an already heavy load of problems, affecting people sometimes for years or decades to come. It's a bit like sitting in a waiting room waiting for a train that never comes.

I think at the heart of it is avoidance. If you think about it, why would anybody be motivated to brace the difficult and often harrowing emotions involved with confronting one's problems, when they can sit in the waiting room at least *thinking* about confronting those underlying issues and problems?
    This might sound callous, but the more manageable the condition, the less motivation there will be to put in the hard work to actually actively deal with it. And, as is the nature of avoidance, it is a vicious circle: The more you avoid, the more you want to avoid. And consequently, the problems will be thriving.

And no, this is not merely a generalisation, but there is truth in this, in the same way that there is truth in the fact that we will all bleed if we cut ourselves. There are certain causes and effects that just can't be talked away.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information