Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diazapam or Kalms

Diazapam or Kalms

I see that alot of people recommend taking Diazapam for being able to get on a plane. As some of you know I am worried about my flight in July. I am seriously thinking about asking my Doctor for these tabs. What I would like to know is does it make you feel weird? It's just that I am one of those people who gets panicky when taking a tablet - When I 1st had PD's - before they were diagnosed with my post natal depression 8yrs ago - I was given Diazapam to help for the 1st few days - but I did not take them for fear that they would harm me. I was prescribed prozac after this - but again was afraid to take them - eventually I gave in & started taking them but everytime I had one I felt panicky - so stopped taking them after a month. Do you think taking just a half of one would help? How long before the flight should you take them & how long do they work before having to take another? Next question is about Kalms - do these help your nerves before getting on a plane? Has anyone tried them?

Hi Panic, Welcome I think it’s the first time I have spoke to you. Well Diazepam also called Vallium comes in 3 strengths, (2mg 5mg and 10mg tabs) I presume you mean the little white one which is 2mg. this should be fine about an hour before your flight and another once you get on the plane if you really panic to much. They do have different effects on different people, but you shouldn’t get any bad effect of just a 2mg tab, The reason you have felt panicky before each time you took a tab was because you have a fear of taking them, the feeling wouldn’t have been anything to do with the med especially if you felt panic soon as you took it. I haven’t tried Calms but I would say they would have much less effect on calming you than a Vallium. Vallium are addictive but you have to be on them regular for a while before this happens, as you say lots of people take the odd one when they are really anxious about an event, I used to take about 10 to 15mg before a dental visit as this was my big fear, The only unwanted effect you should get is feeling tired for an hour or two, 2mg shouldn’t effect the way you think or what you do at all, just feel a bit more relaxed. Hope you have a nice holiday and maybe the flight back you will manage without any help from Vallium. Take care. Vernon

Hi

You sound a bit like me once you take a tablet you are scared something may happen. I would suggest talking to your GP and maybe try taking diazapam for a stressful situatiopn before you go on holiday to see how you react. If you feel OK then taking them for your flight would be OK. It is quite common for people to be prescribed them for this.

I will be relying on Bach rescue Remedy, Breathing techniquyes, distraction, and having lots of water to drink and distraction. What about trying EFT (emotional freedom technique) - excellent to use in panic situations.

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Thanks Vernon & darkangel,

I will try the vallium before I go to make sure it agrees with me. I think the 2mg will be enough. Does the Bach Rescue Remedy really work? Have you tried it before darkangel?

hi there,

i was prescribed diazepam (2mg) when i first started panicking - i was grateful for anything that might make me feel better so i didn't panic about taking the meds or worry about side effects or anything. all it did was make me feel more relaxed.

having said that, since then, i've started panicking at the thought of having to take even an aspirin.

so it all depends on your frame of mind. as vern said, taking such a small dose will really just calm you down for a while. rescue remedy is also really good - it always helps me feel better.

take care

henri

Hi Panicdiva

i'm like yourself when it comes to taking pills. I get panicky after taken them. I must say that 2mg or sometimes i half them 1mg diazepam is absolutely fine. Probably 2mg will do the trick and mabye top it up on the flight. I sometimes feel a wee bit sleepy but they don't knock me out and the sleepyness wears off. Enjoy your holiday.

TAKE CARE
    maggs

Diazepam affects people differently, for eg, i take 2mg when im feeling rough but it does not have a great effect. Im going to take 5mg when i fly in may.I find the Bach remedy no help but thats just my experience.I do distraction,have massage,so breathing techniques/exercises. Anything is worth a try though.
    X

Hi

This week my friend came back from a holiday in India and I asked her how she coped with the 9 hour flight as she is terrified of flying and has only been on 2 or 3 hour flights up until this one. She said that she took 3 10mg tabs of diazepam and slept from when she got on till when the plane landed in India and did the same on the return journey!! And here's me afraid to take one tablet for fear of what might happen.
    I am positive that the doctor would never advise taking 3 at once but no harm came to her and she said she was really relaxed and had a great holiday.

Spice, that sounds great, but I've got 2 kids so I don't think I could sleep for the whole 9 hrs. But, as you say, she took 3 & she was ok. Think I will give it a try but not take 3. Thanks

Oh you have come to the right place for this info! (I am a walking benzodiazepine dictionary lol - because I was sos cared to take)
    Everyone is different.
    Take 2mg and if that doesnt work after a period, take another 2 etc.
    Takes about 20 mins to work for me but some say up to 2 hours.
    Everyone different.

Mate of mine needs 10-15mg to feel normal whereas I would almost drop off to sleep with more than 5mg at once.

2-4mg works for me.

And wonders it works!

As for how long they work. Valium (diazepam) the half life is actually very long 20-100 hours with the active metabolite 36-200 hours. This means one dose can take up to 8 days approx before half of it is out of your body. Yes that is right. Having said that, the effect often noticeably wears off within 5-12 hours. But once again everyone is different.

Valium would be the pick In my opinion due to the long half life.

Dont be too afraid, they can work wonders for situations like this. P.S. 2mg is a drop in the ocean and I wouldnt worry too much. Take the amount you need until the desired efffect is achieved. Might be 2, might be 10. You want to be relaxed but not sleeping (unless you want to sleep)

Cheers
    Chop

Learning to under react

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information