Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How SSRIs work, and why you feel worse initially.

How SSRIs work, and why you feel worse initially.

Hi,

I've been reading these forums for a while, and I've been taking SSRIs for the last 3 years (Cipralex). One of the concerns I've noticed most people have when starting an SSRI or increasing it's dose is how crap they feel to start with. This causes a great deal of stress for the person as they begin to wonder whats happening, is their disease just getting worse and worse, are these drugs doing absolutely nothing for them?? etc etc.

So having not seen a real explanation of exactly how an SSRI works I thought I'd make this post to hopefully show people exactly WHY you often feel so aweful to start with.

First to understand this we need to know a little bit about the brain and about how nerves work.

The brain is essential a big dense bundle of nerves, nerves as we know carry electrical signals around our brain and body. Nerves are made up of nerve cells (called neurons but that doesn't really matter).

The important part to remember here is that nerve cells do not touch each other, there is a small gap between each cell (called a synapse, again not important). This gap prevents the electrical signal from going from one cell to another. So how does the signal get from one cell to another?

This is where neurotransmitters come in, these are chemicals released by nerve cells that tell a neighbouring nerve cell to pass the signal along. A bit like pass the parcel, where the signal is the parcel and the neurotransmitters are the people passing it around (essentially anyway).

Serotonin is one such neurotransmitter.

So when an electrical signal reaches the end of a nerve cell that deals with serotonin that cell releases serotonin into the gap (synapse), serotonin then crosses the gap and interacts with the nearby nerve cell and tells it to pass the signal along.

Once the serotonin has done it's job parts of the nerve cell then reabsorb the serotonin from the gap so that no more signals are passed until the next one comes down the nerve (if it stayed in the gap it would invoke more signals and for longer).

SSRIs, (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) interfere with this reabsorbtion process and thus serotonin stays in the gap longer, which equates to more serotonin and more signals. This is good for people with low serotonin levels (us).

That's all very interesting I'm sure but why do I feel like crap??

Well here's the thing, along with the releasing serotonin, and reabsorbing it, nerve cells also have parts that detect an increase in serotonin level and tell the nerve cell to stop producing anymore serotonin until the level drops. These are called autoreceptors.

Autoreceptors are the reason you feel like shit, so when you feel like crap blame them.

As I've said taking an SSRI will increase the amount of serotonin in your brain, or more specifically increases the amount in the synapses between nerve cells. Unfortunately the autoreceptors of the nerve cell pick up on this increase and tell the nerve cell to stop producing serotonin.

The result of this is that when you first start taking an SSRI your serotonin levels DROP.

How do they go up again??

Eventually with continuous use of SSRIs the autoreceptors become desensitised, that is to say they've continually told the nerve cell to stop producing serotonin but yet serotonin is still there. In short they simply give up. They stop telling the nerve cell to stop producing serotonin and your serotonin levels start to increase.

This desensitisation takes time, it doesn't happen over night and it won't even begin to happen until the SSRI levels have stabilised (which we already know takes 5-7 days anyway).

This is why you feel so bad, it's why your mood drops and your anxiety increases (fueld by the fear of not knowing whats going on).

I hope this isn't too complicated but it really helps me to understand why I feel so bad when i increase dose or start taking them, so to summarise:

SSRIs cause your serotonin levels to drop when you first start taking them.

Your serotonin levels will not rise until the autoreceptors in your brain have stopped working (become desensitised).

This takes time. For some people it could be a couple of week, for others a month or more.

I hope this helps some people to understand what these drugs are doing and why you don't get instant results. Other drugs work in different ways and that's the reason they can have a more immediate effects (benzos for example).

Re: How SSRIs work, and why you feel worse initially.

Bumping this post as i have found it very useful - now i know why i have been feeling even worse!

Thank you!

There seem to be various explanations by various experts on what causes depression and how AD's work................... I'm not honestly quite sure what to believe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff2301 View Post
    There seem to be various explanations by various experts on what causes depression and how AD's work................... I'm not honestly quite sure what to believe!!
    From what I understand, because the biological relationships to depression are not understood, it's impossible to understand why ADs actually work for some people - it's only possible to theorise as best they (the experts) can. And the theory that Schtopper's described seems to be the most popular one.

There are some very respected experts in the field who have very different views.
    Last edited by eight days a week; 26-07-11 at 20:02.

if you google the medications you will find PDF of the trials and side effects, SSRI's don't work much better than placebos for people with moderate depression, but SSRIs work much better in people wit sever depression.

Awesome
    Post! Always wanted to know

I would love to read the paper that you got this information from if you have it please post - I have never heard this theory. I assumed the physical side effects were because all meds inadvertently affect different areas in addition to the ones they are supposed to be targetting. I never considered the emotional side effects.

Hi - good post - I was put on Prozac 15 years ago and all the initial start up effects were like the above post - but no internet access then - felt frightened - thought feel worse - but perseved and they were brilliant. However, second time around on SSRIs - Prozac and Sertraline has been a very different story - mild start up effects but 3 weeks into them suicidal feelings, deep dark black cloud - much worsening of the depression. Had to stop - why does this happen?

wish id have read this in my early days of taking fluoxetine!!! nevermind,at least theyre working now,which is all i want.....everything is looking good!!!!

brilliant post, think there is some truth in it, when I first went to Doctor I told her I felt as though a 'fuse had blown', she said that was a good way to describe the onset of depression and anxiety

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information