Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Apnea

Sleep Apnea

This is another thing mentioned by the dentist yesterday.

Don't know how they can tell that i might be suffering from it but was told to go and see my GP, I'm sure something to do with my tonsils made them say about Sleep Apnea.

I do get tired quite a lot in the day so who knows, Just have to wait and see.

Re: Sleep Apnea

Have you been to your gp? My auntie took my uncle to the doctors cos he was keeping the whole house awake at night with his snoring and sometimes she had to nudge him in the night because it was like he stopped breathing anyway doc wanted him testing for sleep apnea, so he got a machine and mask he had to wear for bed still waiting on the results. Let us know how you get on! X

Not yet can't get in until Tuesday but i know i snore loud, I have always been told that but don't know if i stop breathing or not.

Well by the sounds of it this machine diagnosis it so shouldn't be too hard to tell if you have it x

I know a bit about this as my ex-husband suffers from severe sleep apnoea (when he was tested overnight he stopped breathing around 30 times an hour!).

Snorers are more likely to get it, as they tend to have larger tonsils and more flesh at the back of the throat. That might be what the dentist picked up. However, the only way to get it diagnosed accurately is to have a night in a sleep laboratory, where you are monitored for changes in breathing.

If you have sleep apnoea, you're likely to be given a CPAP machine which blows air into your nose and helps to keep your airways open.

I read several thesis on this, and quite a few of the sufferers are overweight. Its also hereditary in some cases.

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

Interestingly this condition often leads to bruxism, Eggy.

Dentists can tell because people with Sleep Apnea tend to grind their teeth in a certain way.
    "You are trying to do all the right things, just don't "battle" it out. Try and carry on with normal day to day things and don't shrink from your anxiety. Remember that's it's acceptance that brings recovery. If you've been in a bad place for so long then old habits die hard, but they do die."

If anyone doesn't like looking at things like tonsils or stuff in the mouth look away now.

My tonsils are always like this but i seem to have tonsil stones too (i think the yellow bit in the corner of one of the tonils could be one.)

It could be Eggy or it could be trapped food.

I know it sounds gross but have you tried picking it out?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information