Thread: Liver Function Test.. abnormal - help!

Liver Function Test.. abnormal - help!

Just been to see GP (differtent Dr to normal) who tells me that the blood test I had done in July 10 showed abnormal liver function. Tests going to be repeated but can't be done until 25th February as I'm going on holiday tomorrow for week.

I'm panicking because I always have pain on my right side that I always put down to scarring from gallbladder op; and why didn't they re-test before now, it's been 6 months - something awful could be going on by now.

I'm thinking of getting a private healthscreen scan done now so my liver can be checked....

Re: Liver Function Test.. abnormal - help!

I also experience pain on my upper right side since having the GB removed 18 months ago. My liver tests showed abnormal readings to the extent that they presumed I was an alchoholic until I said that I don't drink. Then they thought it could be Hepatitus. After another test, they were normal again. The liver readings can fluctuate apparently. However, they are saying that the pain is IBS, but being as I suffer every and all day with it, I believe otherwise.

Strange they never contacted you back in July!

I'd be pretty annoyed about that.

I worked at a Drs and I can say that abnormal liver function tests are ten a penny! it very much depends on what is abnormal and by how much. alot of the time there is no reason ever found and some people always have slightly abnormal tests but thats normal for them. If your tests were very abnormal in certain results then you would have been told and further tests done but the most common abnormalities often right themselves in time and its normal to leave it 3-6 months before repeating the test - if its abnormal again then they will try and find out usually first off with an ultrasound scan.

If you are going on holiday then no one can do any tests until you return - rather than paying alot of money for a private scan why don't you when you go back for your test ask if they can also refer you for ultrasound - they will probably want to wait for tests results but its worth asking. an ultasound is only one of many many tests that they can do but its usually the first one on the list - you have had your gallbladder out so that rules out gallstones at least.

I have a male friend who had his first ever liver function test at 55 yrs old and it was very abnormal - he went for ultrasound and other tests and nothing - he still had abnormal liver results but has no symptoms so they are happy to leave him alone. He doesn't drink either???

Thank you both for your replies. I am very angry I was not told back in July especially as I had the blood tests at the time as part of tests for severe headaches I was getting and I was at the surgery and saw 3 different doctors, one of them during a 4 week period. I would have asked to be re-tested back then if I'd known. Probably sensible to ask for an ultrasound when I have my blood tests, rather than spend lots of money, it's just such a long wait for scans. Been waiting since October for a gynae scan! I wish I hadn't found this out today as it is going to overshadow my holiday now

ps. I don't drink either! and it's 7 years since my gallbladder op, and still getting pain.

Are you on any medication?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yes, blood pressure meds (bendromethfluazide and Lisinopril), asthma meds (steroid inhaler daily and salbutamol) and, at the time of the blood test, I was suffering from severe headaches so had also been taking co-codamol 30/500 strength most days and very occasionally stemitil or stugeron to combat dizziness/nausea. Plus I also take diazapam as and when needed for anxiety, although can't be sure I had taken any at that time. I assume you mean meds that could have affected the BT result????

Yes I was cos the medication I am on effects my LFT results so they take that into account at the time

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Just remembered that I'd had a course of amoxicillian a couple of weeks before as well!! Quite a list. I guess I have to try and convince myself that all those meds could have affected the LFT and thats why my GP didnt think itwas significant. Thanks very much for your comments, I hadn't considered that at all.

Wow that is some list of meds and quite alot of them can affect your LFT so you have even less to worry about than you thought - also would be reason that the Dr's were not concerned.

Have the retest and explain your fears to the Dr and ask if any of your normal drugs could affect the result as with some drugs like statins wonky LFT is almost 100% but does not mean its due to anything wrong just that that drug increases one of the chemicals your liver produces.

Thread Information