Thread: Brands

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Angry Brands

I was given a new brand of sertraline (Teva) 100mg by my pharmacy last week and I think it's giving me awful heartburn and nausea, as I've never had this before until now.

I'm usually given Dr Reddys or Almus but this Teva brand is very suspect.

Anyone else had problems with different brands of sertraline?

Never Surrender, Comrade

Re: Brands

Hi Mel,

sorry your meds causing you problems, I dont accept any other brand when I'm at the chemist. I usually ask for my prescription back. I hope you feel better soon.

Yvonne

Hi MM, I had probs with a particular manufacturer's fluoxetine, even though it is all supposed to be the same. Is there an original brand-name sert? I eventually plucked up the courage to ask my doc for Prozac and she didn't quibble at all xx

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

They add different carrier agents .Some of them contain things that a small ammount of people react to .Sweetners for example will affect the digestive tract and can cause STOMACH upsets . ..Id definately ask for your usual brand next time or go elsewhere to exchange your perscription MM ..

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Yeah, I've found a batch of my usual brand and will take them tomorrow, as I'm sure there's something in this new brand that's causing this. Will mention it to my GP too next time.

Thanks Yvonne, JC and BS.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by Melancholia77 View Post
    Yeah, I've found a batch of my usual brand and will take them tomorrow, as I'm sure there's something in this new brand that's causing this. Will mention it to my GP too next time.

Thanks Yvonne, JC and BS.
    MM, this is certainly possible.

Last year, I decided to switch pharmacies. With my insurance coverage, I have to go with generic brands or pay the difference out of pocket (unless there is no generic brand, then my insurance provider honors the lower co-pay). My first batch of alprazolam (Xanax) at the new pharmacy didn't seem to have the punch the older one had.

I asked my doctor, since I was concerned that perhaps I had finally built up resistance to the dosage I am allowed, and he told me that was probably not the case. Apparently, while generic drugs do have to contain the same core ingredients as the name brand drugs, they do not necessarily have to have the same amounts of each ingredient, and they may include fillers that are not found in the name brand product. That of course can impact how much benefit you derive from the drug. I don't know if that is true everywhere, but that seems to be the way things are here in the States.

Sure enough, I transferred the prescription back to the old pharmacy, which uses a different manufacturer for their generics, and things were back to normal.

Thread Information