Thread: How do you get more calories?

How do you get more calories?

I have been told that for my height etc (6ft5) I should be eating a minimum of 3100 cals per day and thats with doing no exercise at all.

The problem is that due to the OCD i only eat ready meals and these are all healthy. I dont like fatty foods and I do eat some snacks just to get more cals.

So I know people want to normally concentrate on eating less calories but how can I get fattier, high calorie foods in my diet?

A typical days food is:

Breakfast: Cereal with milk and a coffee
    Lunch: Sandwich/Chocolate bar/Toast with chocolate spread
    Supper: Roast or Shepards etc.

Misc: Another chocolate bar and a fortisip drink from the doctor.

I am totally full after eating all of that but its still only 1800-2000 cals per day.

:(

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

Re: How do you get more calories?

You could try one of the shakes or soups from Nestle called Build Up - you can get them in chemists. Basically it's the equivalent nutritional and calorie value of a lunch, but in a milkshake or soup. It's usually used for convalescents who have no appetite - but a dietician advised me to drink them many years ago when I couldn't eat due to anxiety and was losing lots of weight.

Dahlia

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia View Post
    You could try one of the shakes or soups from Nestle called Build Up - you can get them in chemists. Basically it's the equivalent nutritional and calorie value of a lunch, but in a milkshake or soup. It's usually used for convalescents who have no appetite - but a dietician advised me to drink them many years ago when I couldn't eat due to anxiety and was losing lots of weight.

Dahlia
    My thoughts exactly I was given these when I was recovering from anorexia to help add more calories. They're actually quite nice!

There's another one called Complan as well.

You say you eat ready meals Piers .These do contain a lot of additives and contrary to belief arent healthy .The vitamins you need are often lost in the preperation and when heated are lost even more .Fresh cooked food is always best .You dont seem to be having much of a variety either and there are no mention of fruit and vegetables .Apart from the ones you say are contained in the ready meal .Adding half a banana to your cereal or some other fruit will help .Jacket potatoes for lunch with butter and cheese is an option maybe .Followed by custard or creamed rice pudding .A smoothie drink made from fresh fruit during the afternoon will give you extra calories and give you the fibre and vitamins you need for the day .Food doesnt have to be made of fat to put on weight .Ice cream does contain fat and could be eaten as a pudding or thru the day .Biscuits ,cake ,and complan as others have mentioned will give you plenty of extra vits and calories .They even do one what is like a soup .Cheese on toast with some beans or an egg is another lunch time snack you could have .But this all depends on foods you like and fancy .Meats like Pork and sausage rolls contain more fat than chicken .One of the highest calorie nibbles you can eat are nuts ..These are good for the nervous system and come in a variety of different types .very good for you too .Once you get used to eating more ,you will get used to it and your stomache will get bigger .Until then try different options and eat small ammounts often through out the day .It will all help ....Sue x

Thread Information